9/11/2007

Six Years Ago 6年前に


On September 11, 2001, I was supposed to fly out to Maui from Narita (Tokyo) International Airport. I was 18 years old back then.

On that morning, I was in Hokkaido, dancing at the Matsuri (festival) for celebrating peace and joy through Yosakoi dance.

There was a big typhoon approaching Northern Japan. My flight to Tokyo from Hokkaido was delayed a couple of hours due to the weather condition. By the time I got to the Narita (Tokyo) International Airport, I was about ten minutes late for my original flight to Honolulu. I was a bit panicky, thought that I had to buy a whole new air ticket, but the airline reissued an air ticket with no charge. I was relieved.

I called my childhood friend in Tokyo if I could stay at his house for a night.

The next morning, as I woke up, my friend told me, "Akari, watch this news. You might not be able to fly out for a while." Then, I saw the scene which I am sure most of you recognize because the media showed it again and again - two airplanes crashing into the tall buildings in New York City.

Part of me was rather calm even with this shocking visual information, accepting where our human consciousness and global support system led, but other part of me was in denial, could not believe what I saw.

As my friend guessed, the major airports were closed. I was stuck in Tokyo for a week. Every morning, I checked news on TV to see if the Narita International Airport was opened again. Wondering if my air ticket would be still effective was something I was a bit concerned besides who caused such chatastrophy and why.

After a week passed, I decided to go back to Kochi where my family was. I found out that I could re-re-issue my air ticket, so it was good. I am sure that my relatives were not sure about the idea of me traveling oversea at that time. Maui Language Institute was supposed to begin on 10/1/01. I wanted to be on Maui at least a couple of days before the first day of school to adjust myself to Maui. I flew out of Osaka International Airport at the end of September with Northwest Airline. Of all the airline companies going to Honolulu, my air ticket was purchased with Northwest at the first place, an American airline. There were a few people on that plane. I could sleep in the central row (5 seats all together) by myself. I could stretch my legs and arms. I think that it would be the only time I could have done that.

So, my Maui life began with an intense incident, and it led to my intense yet powerful Maui life. I feel a fatality behind this story. As I was eager to learn about world peace in my young adulthood as I live far away from my parents for the first time. I was presented with such a perfect theme on my first day of my journey.

-----------------------------(Japanese)--------------------------

2001年9月11日、私は成田国際空港からマウイに向けて飛び立つ予定だった。その頃、私は18歳。

その日の朝は北海道にいた。北海道で行われた「The 祭り」という平和と喜びを祝うことを願いとしたよさこい祭りに参加して踊ったので。

その頃、大きな台風が日本の北へ接近していた。北海道から成田空港へのフライトは天候のため何時間か延期された。成田空港へ着いた頃にはマウイ行きのフライトが出た10分後だった。私は少し動転していた。航空チケットを再度購入しなくてはいけないかと思ったからだ。しかし、航空会社が翌日の便で無料で再度発行してくれたので、胸を撫で下ろした。

東京の幼馴染に電話をし、一晩泊まらせてくださいなと頼んだ。

翌朝、起きてきた私に、幼馴染はこう言うのだった。「あかり、このニュース見てみな。しばらくは飛べないかもね。」そして私はあのシーンを見た。もう皆、どのシーンのことを話しているか分かるでしょう。テレビで何度も映し出された映像。飛行機がニューヨークシティの高層ビルに突撃していく映像。

私の半分は、そのようなショッキングな映像を目にしながらも大して驚くでもなく、ただ淡々と私たち人間の意識とサポートシステムの希薄さがそこへ辿り着いたことを認識して受け止めていた。しかし、もう半分の私は自分の目で見ていることが現実ではないことを願っていた。

幼馴染の言った通り、成田国際空港は閉鎖された。私は一週間東京に滞在することを余儀なくされた。毎朝、ニュースを見ては成田がまた開いたか確認をした。私の航空チケットが果たしてまだ有効なのかは、誰がどうしてあのようなことをしたのか以外に気になることの一つだった。

一週間経っても成田が開かなかったので、私は地元の高知に一時的に帰ることにした。航空チケットは関西国際空港発の便に変更出来ることが判明。きっとあの頃は私が海外に行くことを心配した人は沢山いたと思う。マウイ語学学校は10月1日に始まる予定だったので、私は最低3日ほど前にマウイ入りして、時差や気温や、水の変化に慣れておきたかった。ついに9月の終わりにノースウエスト航空を使って、私はマウイにやってきた。あれだけ沢山の航空会社がホノルル経由で飛んでいるのにも関わらず、よりによって私はノースウエスト航空でチケットを買っていたのだった。そう、アメリカの航空会社で。その便にはほんの少しの人しか乗っておらず、私は真ん中の列のシート全てを(5つのシート)を独り占めすることが出来た。エコノミークラスで両足も両手もあれだけ伸ばせたのは、あれっきりだろう。乗客が皆、そうしていた。

そう、私のマウイライフは色濃いスタートを切ったのだった。そしてその後のマウイ生活をも良い意味で色濃くしてくれた。私はこの必然の中には意味があると思う。初めての親元を離れての、しかも異国での生活、世界平和について興味のあった若かった私は、これまた完璧なテーマで新たな旅に迎えられていたのだった。

(写真は9-11で犠牲になった方々の写真たち。)

No comments: