9/12/2006

Washington Trip (5) ワシントントリップ (5) 8/30 Mount Rainier


Finally, we got everything we needed. We were ready to begin our journey in Washington 2006!

Last year, we went around the Olympic Peninsula, but we did not have enough time to enjoy Mount Rainier. So, this year, we decided it as one of main destinations. It was not too far from Seattle to get to Mount Rainier National Park.


As soon as we drove into the mountain, our cell phones lost connection. We felt like we were really on a vacation :)
I did not realize how cold it could get. It was cloudy and even a little rainy when we got there. I was so happy that I bought the green windbreaker at REI... Yet, it was still very, very cold!! My body and mind were in shock since they had not encountered such a cold climate for a long time.

First, we went to the Cougar Rock and registered for a camp site. The camp ranger told us that the lot 21 was the best, so we reserved it for two days. We bought firewood and sat up the tent before the sun sat. Then, we went to Henry M. Jackson Memorial Visitor Center to just check it out. It was 5400 ft. high. Wind was blowing hard and made me anxious to sleep in the tent.

As soon as we returned to our camp site, I started to cook, and Loren made fire and started to blow our air mattress with his mouth and lungs!! We bought an electric air pump at REI, but it had to be charged for 12 hours before the first use. I told Loren that we could sleep on it without inflating it, but he told me that it would get really cold from the ground, and air mattress would keep us distanced from the ground. It was a big air mattress, and he took about 20 - 30 minutes to blow it up. Later, he told me, "I almost saw light when I was blowing..." (meaning he was experiencing shortage of oxygen).

After dinner, Loren and I sat by the fire and just watched it.
It was very quiet. Nobody else was around us (because it was Wednesday night).
Our cell phones were out of reach.
No TV (we don't watch even at home, though), no homework, no business to take care of, no time pressure... no stress.
As hot soup slowly warmed up inside of me, it brought a peaceful feeling to me. It's been awhile I felt like that. The moment itself was worth while to have the trip.

I even felt appreciation towards the cold air outside of my body. Without it, I would not have felt the calming feeling as clearly as I did. This relativity reminded me the relationship between me and the Universe (or God or whatever you feel comfortable to call it). I believe that we are all from there, but we intentionally forgot the fact that we are part of the Universe in order to experience it. Without knowing what warm is, I would not know what cold is. It is also written in a book called "Conversations with God" written by Neale Donald Walsch. In the book, God says, "Taken to ultimate logic, you cannot experience yourself as what you are until you've encountered what you are not. This is the purpose of the theory of relativity, and all physical life. It is by that which you are not that you yourself as defined. Now in the case of the ultimate knowing - in the case of knowing yourself as the Creator - you cannot experience your Self as creator unless and until you create. And you cannot create yourself until you un-create yourself. In a sense, you have to first "not be" in order to be."

I really enjoyed watching the fire place. I saw stories in it. Especially, I enjoyed after all the wood were burned out. They became charcoals. They made the most precious song I had ever heard. It was so cute and beautiful. Although I was very tired earlier (falling asleep at REI), I stayed up pretty late because I was mesmerized by the fire.

Eventually, we went to bed (sleeping bags) around 11 pm.

------------------------------(Japanese)---------------------------------
やっとこさ、必要な物を全て揃え、2006年ワシントンの旅の始まりです!

昨年来たときは、オリンピック半島を3日くらいかけて一回りして、とても楽しんだのですが、リニアー山をゆっくりと楽しむ暇が無かったので、今年はリニアー山国立公園がメインの目的地の一つでした。シアトル市から、リニアー山までそんなに遠くなかったです。

山に入る次第、私たちの携帯電話は圏外に。やっと、本物のバケーションって感じになりました:)

私は山がどれだけ寒くなるか、予想し忘れてました。着いたときは、曇り空で雨も降ったり止んだりしてました。REIであの緑のウインドブレイカーを買っておいてよかった!それでも、寒かった!私の体と気持ちが、ひっさしぶりに寒さと接してにビックリしておりました。

最初にクーガーロックというところへ行ってキャンプサイトを登録しました。公園管理者の方が「敷地21番がベストなロケーションだよ。」と教えてくれたので、21番を二日登録。焚き火用の薪を買って、日が沈む前にテントを張りました。それから、少し時間があったので、メモリアルセンターを観光がてら見に行きました。標高1647メートルで、風がびゅんびゅん吹いていて、「寝るときどうなるのかしら?」と少し心配になりました。

キャンプサイトに戻り次第、私は夕飯作りに取り掛かり、ローレンは焚き火を作り、それからマットレスを彼の口と肺で膨らまし始めました!REIで電動式の空気ポンプを買っていたのですが、使う前に12時間充電しないといけないことに、後で気がついたのです。「膨らませずに、その上に寝たらいいんじゃない?」と言ったところ、ローレンは「寒さは地面からも伝わってくるから、マットレスがあったら、その寒さを感じないで済むよ。」と言い、「頑張る!」と言って膨らまし始めました。ダブルサイズのマットレスなので、結構大きいんですよ。20~30分くらいかかったと記憶します。後で彼が冗談で「僕は(酸欠で)もう少しで光を見たよ。」と言っているのが、おかしかった。いや、いや、膨らましてくれてありがとう。おかげで心地よく眠れました。

夕飯の後は、ローレンも私も焚き火の傍に座り、何を話すでもなく、ただただぼんやりと焚き火を見つめ・・。とても静かでした。周りには誰もおらず(水曜日なので、週末と違い賑わっていない)。
(繰り返しになりますが)携帯電話は圏外だし。
テレビもないし(家でも見てないけど)、宿題もないし、仕事もないし、期日もないし・・・。ストレスフリー。温かいスープが私の体の内側に流れ込んで温めてくれるにつれ、私はとても平穏な気持ちになりました。あんな風に感じたのは久しぶりのことでした。あの瞬間だけでも旅に行った甲斐があったってもんです。

体の外の寒い空気にさえ、感謝を感じました。寒さという条件が、あの平穏な気持ちをあれだけはっきりと感じさせてくれたのだと思います。この相対性に、私と宇宙(大自然でも、神でも、イエスでも、仏陀でも、クリシュナでも、アッラーでも、人それぞれの親しみのある呼び方で)との関係を想わされました。私たちはみんな同じ根源から来ていると私は信じています。でも、私たちは私たちが本当は何者なのかを思い出し、それをこの世で経験する為、意志的にその事実を忘れたんだと思います。熱いという概念を知らずに冷たいという概念を理解出来ないのと同じように。「神との対話」(著者: 二ール・ドナルド・ウォルシュ 訳:吉田利子)にもこう書かれています。「つきとめて言えば、自分が何であるか知るためには、自分ではないものと対決(吉田さんは「対決」という言葉に訳されましたが、私個人的には、この場合「直面」という言葉を使いたい)しなければならない。これが相対性の理論の目的であり、すべての物質的な生命の目的だ。・・・略・・・あなたがたは、実際に創造するまでは創造者としての自分を体験することはできない。そして、自分自身を創らないという経験があってはじめて、自分を創ることができる。「何かである」ためには、まず「そうでない」ことを体験する必要があるからだ。」

焚き火を見ているのがとても好きでした。色々なお話を見ているような気がしました。特に、薪が全て焼けて炭になったときに、炭たちが奏でる歌がとても好きでした。とてもかわいくて、きれいな歌でした。とても疲れていたはずなのに(REIでは店内で座り込んでいたというのに)、焚き火に魅了されて結構遅くまで起きてました。

11時頃、ベッドに(寝袋)に行きました。

No comments: