8/10/2006

Teacher Debut 先生デビュー

Last week, I made my teacher debut at the Maui Language Institute (MLI). I have taught some classes at the Maui Tumblers, performance classes, and preschools, but I had not planned my lesson plans and actually implemented them in a formal classroom setting.

About a month ago, the director, Dr. Alice Luther at MLI, asked me if I would be interested in teaching English classes for junior high school students from Japan. I was honored to be asked and wanted to take the opportunity. However, I was not sure if it was okay that I, who is also still learning English, teach a class! She said that it would be fine and do not worry. I believed in her words and decided to take her offer.

Students were from Miyakojima, Okinawa, Japan. There were seventeen students. Alika was my assistance teacher, and he was very helpful. Jackie, Nicole, and Derek helped me to develop lesson plans, and there were some flexibility that I could make my own. I was excited. I made some conversation practices, focused on teaching them how to express emotions (like "I am frustrated.") and symptoms (such as "I have a headache.") Developing lesson plans took more time than I planned which is normal for beginner teachers, I guess, but I really enjoyed the process!! I had to adjust my lesson plans according to how students comprehended in the classroom. I was able to practice what I was learning from University of Hawaii's education courses. I would like to thank the MLI staff for giving me this rare opportunity.

I taught them wrong information one day, and when I realized about it, I felt that my face was turning into red. I wrote a letter to each student, explaining what I taught them wrong and what the correct information was. I hope that they will not mix them up in the future.

I was also a chaperon at two field trips. There were forty-three students, and about five chaperons. I was in charge of them, so it was a nice experience to be a "leader." Being a good leader requires a lot of skills and qualities: patient, clearness, confidence, and charisma.

The whole last week was a good challenge for me. I embraced different kinds of challenges. As a young educator, there are a lot to learn. What I learned from this experience is this: "If you want to teach somebody what you know, you have to know it four times more than you think you know."

At last, I would like to thank Miyakojima students for keeping up with me. Mahalo! (Thank you in Hawaiian.)

[Photo: Miyakojima, the students came from this beautiful island]

-----------------------------(Japanese)----------------------------

先週、マウイ語学学校(MLI)で先生デビューをしました。今までにマウイタンブラーズ(体操教室)や、演技のクラスや、幼稚園などで教えるという経験は少なからずもしてきたけれど、実際に自分が授業内容を計画して、本物の教室で実際に教えるということはしたことが無かったです。

一ヶ月前ほど、MLIのダイレクターであるアリスに、日本から来る中学生の子たちに英語を教えてみないかと聞かれました。聞かれた時点で、嬉しかったですし、是非この機会を有効に使いたいと思ったのですが、果たしてまだ英語を学んでいる私が教えていいものなのか躊躇い(とまどい)がありました。でも、アリスが「大丈夫、心配しなさんな(日本語でいうとこんな感じで)。」と言ってくれたので、その言葉を信じて彼女のお誘いを引き受けることにしました。

生徒さんは、日本の沖縄の宮古島というところから来てくれました。17人いました。アリカがアシスタントとしてクラスに一緒に入ってくれて、彼はとても役にたってくれました。ジャッキーとニコルとデレックがある程度のレッスンプランは立ててくれていて、それに加え、自分でしたいことを組み込める自由がありました。私は「自分の」レッスンプランを作れるってことが嬉しくて、やる気いっぱいに。いくつかの会話の練習を作って、一週間という短い時間なので、特に感情表現(「歯がゆいです」とか)と、体の症状を伝える英語「(頭痛があります。」とか)に焦点を置きました。レッスン内容を計画するのは思ったよりも時間がかかりました。新米先生にはよくあることなのでしょうけど。でもすごい楽しかった!実際にクラスで教えているときに、生徒の理解度によって授業内容をその場で訂正していかないといけませんでした。丁度その頃、大学で勉強していたレッスンプランの立て方を実際に実行することが出来ました。この貴重な機会を作ってくれたMLIに感謝です。

ある日、私は生徒さんたちに間違った情報を教えてしまいました。それを後で気が付いた時には、顔が赤くなっていくのが分かるほど恥ずかしかったです。翌日に生徒一人一人に手紙を書いて、何を間違って教えたのか、何が本当の情報か伝えました。あの子たちが将来間違って覚えないといいけど・・。

そして、私は二つの遠足の付き添いもやりました。43人の生徒と5人の他の付き添いの人たちをまとめなくてはいけないという大切な役目をもらい、「リーダー」という役割を勉強するよい機会でした。良いリーダーになるには、色々なスキルや素質が要りますね。忍耐強さとか、物事をどれだけ明瞭に伝えられるかとか、自信を持っていることとか、そしてそういったものを含めたカリスマ性。

先週まるまるいっぱいは私にとっては良い刺激になりました。色々なチャレンジを楽しめたと思います。新米先生として学ぶことはまだまだいっぱい。この一週間から学んだことをまとめると、「誰かに自分の知っていることを教えたければ、そのことを自分が知っていると思う四倍以上知っていないといけない。」(英語で思いついたものだから、日本語訳がなんかしっくりこないけど。)

最後に宮古島の生徒さんたちにありがとうを送りたい。みんな、私についてきてくれてありがとう!マハロ!(ハワイ語でありがとうっていう意味。)

[写真:宮古島のあるビーチ。あの子たちはこんな美しい島から来てたのね。]

No comments: