8/19/2006

Taking an Action 行動を起こすこと

About a week ago, I broke the left headlight of my car. I was at the Ho'okipa Beach to surf, trying to do a parallel parking in a small space. Second third of my car fit, but the rest of it did not quite fit in, so I thought, "This doesn't work." I decided to look for another space to park. There was a big truck of Maui County parked in front of me. The truck had a hard, metal, and square edge. I was carefully, slowly coming out. I thought that there was an enough space. However, apparently, I miscalculated it. My car does not have a power steering, and, it is a manual car. In that small space, I had a hard time of swerving it. Before I knew it, my car slowly crushed into the truck. (Good thing that it did not crush in a full speed.) I was like "......... oh no..." I backed up and heard the noise of plastic falling down to the ground. I tried again and was able to come out. The driver of the truck came and looked at his truck. The truck did not even have a scar. He did not say anything and went back to his work. (I think he was fixing the public bathroom at the beach.)

I wanted to fix it right away, but I did not really know how to and whom to ask. I wanted to spend as less money as I could. About a couple of days later, I went to Napa to see if they had any part to fix this problem. There was only one new headlight cover was left for my car’s type. I was lucky, and it was only $27. Right after I bought it, I tried to install the new one at Napa's parking lot. The old, broken cover did not come out easily, and a worker of Napa walked by and saw me struggling. He helped me to take it out, and he put the new one in for me. Hooray! I fixed it with only cost of $27!!

What I want to emphasize today is that taking initiative action is important in our lives to make things happen. I am kind of a person who likes to solve problems immediately, so I am learning to be more patient. But, it is sometimes important to think, plan, take actions, and assess the process as well as result. To make things happen, you got to take actions! We cannot just sit around and hope that someone would do it for us.

Actually, (might sound like an excuse, though) parallel parking was my favorite skill when I was going to a driving school in Japan. I think that I am pretty good at it; however, since Maui does not have many parallel parking places, I have not practiced it for a long time, and also no-power-steering with a stick shift can be pretty painful. Anyway, I will try to be more careful from now on. Fortunately, I have not had a car accident yet (although I have scratched a pillar and an electric pole), so I hope to keep this record for the rest of my life.

------------------------(Japanese)----------------------------------------

一週間程前に、私の車の左側のヘッドライトを壊しました。ホオキパビーチにサーフィンをしに行って、狭いスペースにパラレルパーキングをしておりました。三分の二は収まったのですが、残りの三分の一がいまいち収まりません。「こりゃ、ダメだ。」と思い、他の場所を探すことに。私の前に大きな、マウイ郡庁のトラックが駐車されておりました。そのトラックは、後方部に鉄の硬い四角い囲みが付いておりました。私は、ゆっくりと気を付けながら、出てきておりました。私は、トラックと私の車の間に十分なスペースがあるだろうと判断しました。しかし、明らかに計算ミスでした。私の車は日産のSentraという車で(日本では生産されていないらしい)、パワーステアリングが無い上にマニュアルです。あの狭いスペースの中で、一生懸命ハンドルを回したのですが間に合いませんでした。私の車は本当にゆっくりと(ゆっくりってとこがポイント)トラックの鉄の硬いメタルの角にメキメキと入り込んで行きました。「あぁ・・・やってしまった・・・」と思いながら、慎重に車を後退させ、慎重に出ました。トラックの運転手さんが見にきました。でも、トラックの方には傷一つありませんでした。(私の車の負けです。)トラックのおじさんは何も言わずに仕事に戻っていきました。(ビーチの公衆トイレの修理中だったよう。)

すぐに修理をしたかったのですが、自分でどうやったら直せるのか、また人に頼むとしても誰に頼んでいいものか分からずにいました。また、最小限のコストで直したかったのです。何日か経ってからNAPA(ナパ)というアメリカでは大手の車のパーツ屋さんに行ってみることにしました。そこでは、私の車のタイプに合った左側のヘッドライトの部品が一つだけ在庫にありました。イエーイ!ラッキーでした。しかも$27(三千円くらい)で済みました。買って直後にナパの駐車場で新しいヘッドライトを付けてみようとトライ。しかし、古い、壊れているやつがなかなか取れず大変な思いをしていると、ナパで働いているお兄さんが通りかかり助けてくれました。イエイ!$27で済みました!

今日は何を強調したいかというと、自発的に行動を起こすことって、私たちの人生で何かを起こすために大切だということ。私はどっちかというと、問題を即座に解決したいタイプなので、今は辛抱する、待つってことを学んでいるところです。でも、時には、考え、計画を立て、実行し、経過と結果を評価することって大切だと思います。何かを起こしたかったら、何かしなくちゃね。誰かがやってくれるだろうって思って待ってても何も起こらないもんね。

実は(言い訳がましいですが)自動車学校に通っていたとき、パラレルパーキングは私の一番好きなことでした。結構上手だと思います。(自分で言うのも何ですが)でも、マウイはパラレルパーキングをする場所が日本ほど無いので、練習不足なのと、パワーステアリング無しでマニュアル車っていうのが結構キツかったです。とにかく、これからはもっと気をつけます。幸いなことに、私はまだ交通事故を起こしていない(巻き込まれてもいない)ので、(電柱柱や駐車場の柱にこすったりしたことはありますが)これからも事故無しという記録を保持していきたいと思います。

No comments: