12/29/2007

New Printer 新しいプリンター


I bought a new printer. Yay!

For the past five years of my college life, I always had a printer at home, but I had never bought one for myself. Fortunately, there were always friends who passed down their printers to me. When I was just realizing that a printer could be a very useful tool to have at home in order to expedite my studying, my Japanese friend, K (I saw her in Kyoto last summer) gave me her printer because she was moving away. When the printer started to act strangely, my friend, Carlen (she is in Oahu now) gave me hers because she was also moving away. When I started to feel the need for scanner and copy functions, I found my third printer, Lexmark X83, from a pile of junk :) (I gave Carlen's printer to a friend of mine.) Interestingly, there has been always someone who gave me what I needed.

Finally, the life of Lexmark X83 seemed to come to its end about a month ago. It started to act strangely, and I tried numerous things to fix the problems. I corresponded with Lexmark Customer Service Center for about three weeks, going back and forth, trying different things out. It was frustrating, but the bright side of that was that I learned a lot about computer through this process. I was also hoping that while I was trying to fix the problem, someone with a printer might show up and give it to me (hehehe ;D )

However, no one did, and the Lexmark Service Center stopped responding back to me, so I came to a conclusion to buy a new one. I wanted a multiple functions in a printer, such as scanning and copying, so after I compared some products and researched on the Internet, I chose Canon Pixma MP470. It was about $100 including one black and one color ink cartridge and shipping. I hope to use this printer for a long time.

I think I was the person who gave myself what I needed this time :)

Lately, I have been thinking that I can be the person who provides what I need. Or almost I should be the one. (Of course, it's important to evaluate whether what I need is really needed or not, though.) Not only for material wise, but more so for emotional and spiritual aspects of my life, I think it's important that I provide what I need. I think I can live more freely and with less stress if I can self sufficient my needs. Certainly, I don't mean that it is a bad thing to help each other. We need help from others, so I think what I mean is that it's faster to get what I need if I seek it inside of me rather than outside of me (because it's right there with me right now). And often, what I am looking for is inside of me rather than outside of me, especially for emotional and spiritual needs. For instance, I can be freed from the dilemma between wanting to be appreciated and not being appreciated if I appreciated myself. Well, it's easy to say but not so easy to do :) In the past, there was an important occasion where I wanted a certain person to attend. However, the person could not make it, and I felt sad. My friend then asked me, "What could you get out of it if the person attended?" I answered, "I would have been recognized for my achievement." She responded, "I see, I hear you. Well, maybe the person will be able to attend the next occasion. By the way, did you recognize yourself for your achievement?" This was a big eye-opening question. I even did not recognize myself and was expecting the person to do it for me. I told her, "I did not even think to do it for myself." She said, "Well, you can still do it now." So I did. I told myself, "I am proud of you for what you have done." I felt so freed after that. My heart was lifted up as if some weight that was holding the heart down on the ground disappeared. Since then, whenever I feel, "I want to be treated this way," or "I need someone to do this for me," I ask myself, "Have I done that for myself?" It is surprising to find out that I have not done most of the times. I got to do it for myself first, huh? It's not too late to seek outside of me after I seek it inside of me... And most of the times, I find "it" inside of me anyway.

I was writing about my printer. How did I get here??? Oh well.

For Maui Residents:
You can bring your old computer, printer, and cell phone devices to Container in Pu'unene. People there recycle them. Their phone number is 877-2524. They are open from 9 to 4 pm from Monday to Friday. Let's minimize dumping trash in the landfill!


Yay, it arrived!
(Japanese: やったー。届いたよ!)

--------------------------------Japanese-------------------------------


My old printer: Lexmark X83. It worked hard for me. Thank you.)
(Japanese: 私の古いプリンター。レックスマーク社のX83というタイプ。頑張って働いてくれました。)

新しいプリンターを買いました。やったね!

過去5年間の学生生活の中で、最低一つのプリンターが家に常にありましたが、自分で買ったことはありませんでした。有難いことに、いつも誰かしらからプリンターを譲り受けていたのです。丁度学生になったばかりで、「あぁ、学校生活をもっと効率よく過ごすためにはプリンターが家にあったらどんなにいいだろう」と思い始めていた頃、友達のK(この前の夏に日本で会ったK)が引っ越すということで彼女のプリンターをくれました。そのプリンターが残念なことに壊れてしまったときに、今度はカーレンという友達が引っ越すので彼女のプリンターをくれました。それから暫くして、「スキャナーやコピー機能のついたプリンターがあったら仕事が捗る(はかどる)のになぁ・・・(家で仕事をしていたので)」と思い出した頃、あるゴミの山からLexmark X83というスキャナーとコピー機能の付いたプリントを見つけました。(カーレンにもらったプリンターは友達にあげました。)面白いことに、いつも誰かしらが私が必要としているものをくれました。

一ヶ月ほど前に、Lexmark X83がプリントアウトをしなくなり、もしや彼の運命もここまでかと思われました。色々とやってみたのですが、うんともすんとも言わなくなりました。レックスマーク社のお客様サービスセンターともメール上で連絡を取り合い、三週間ほどああでもない、こうでもないとお互いに色々とやったのですが直りませんでした。こうやって直している間に、また誰かプリンターをくれる人が現れたらいいなぁなんて望んでもおりました(ウシシシ。)

でもこの度はそのような方は現れませんでした。ついにサービスセンターから返事も来なくなった頃、私は「よし、自分で買うぞ」という結論に至りました。やっぱりスキャナーとコピー機能のあるものが欲しかったのでその線の商品を色々と調べてみまして、キャノンのPixma(ピクスマ)MP470というものに決めました。黒とカラーのインクと送料込みで$100ほど(1万2千円)ほどでありました。このプリンターと長い付き合いをしていけるといいな。プリンターさん、よろしくお願いします。

今回、私が必要としていたものを提供してくれたのは私だったみたいです:)

最近思うことは、必要としているものを与えてくれる人に私自身がなってもいいんだなということです。というかむしろ自分がなるべきなんだなと。まぁ、必要としているものが本当に必要なのかどうか見極めることも大切ですが。物質的なものに限らず、特に感情的なものと精神的なものでは自分が提供することが大切だなって思います。自分が求めているものを自分で提供(自給自足ってやつですね)出来ると、もっと自由に、ストレスを感じずに生きることが出来るような気がします。だからと言って人に頼らずに生きていこうと言っているわけではなくて、人ってやっぱりお互いに助け合って生きていくし、何て言うのかな、自分で提供できるものだったら外に求めるんじゃなくて、内に求めた方が手っ取り早いな(だってすぐそこにあるから)って感じです。例えば誰かに褒めてもらわなくても、自分が自分自身に価値を見出すことで、「認めてもらいたい」という欲望と「認めてもらえない」というジレンマから抜け出せると思うのです。って言うほど簡単じゃないんだけど。以前ある大切なイベントがあり、そこに出席してもらいたかった人が出席出来なかった際、私は悲しかったのですが、ある友達に「その人が出席したとしたらあかりは何を得られた?」と聞かれ、「その人に認めてもらえる気がした。」と答えると、「うん、その気持は分かるよ。今度そういう機会があったらその人に出席してもらえるといいね。ところで、あかりはあかりに「よくやったね!」って言ってあげた?」と聞かれました。その時にとってもビックリした自分がいました。自分は自分のことを認めずに、その人に認められることで自分の価値を見出そうとしていたのですね。「ううん、自分のことは忘れてた。」とその友達に答えると「じゃ、今言ってあげなよ。」とのこと。そこで「あかりはよくやったね。本当によくやった。誇りに思ってるよ。」と自分に言うとすっごく心がすっきりして、それまで「おあずけ」になっていたのどにつかえた何かが下がっていくように、軽くなったのでした。それから「して欲しい」という気持が出てくる度に「さて、自分は自分にその「して欲しい」をしてあげたか?」と訊くようにしています。大抵、してないことが多いのでビックリです。まずは自分がしてあげないとね。それから外に求めても遅くはないはず・・・。それにサガシテいるものって、自分の中で見つかることの方が多いみたいだしね。

ってプリンターの話をしていたはずなのに、どうやってここに来たのだろう?まぁいいか。

マウイにお住まいの皆様へ:プウネネにあるリサイクルセンターに、古いコンピューターや、プリンターや、携帯電話などを持っていくことが出来ます。そこの電話番号が877-2524です。月曜日から金曜日まで朝の9時から夕方の4時まで開いています。ランドフィルに必要以上なゴミが増えないようにしたいものです。

No comments: