12/27/2007

Cry, so You can Laugh Again 泣けたからまた笑えるよ


On 12/17, a man whom I have known for the past 8 years passed away.

He was my friend and a big brother. Although we did not see each other often, maybe once a year, he always cared for me, and I liked his big smiles and sense of humor. I could tell if he was in the same room because he was always making people laugh.

It was a sudden notice. He had a liver cancer, and as a liver is called "a silent organ," he did not have any symptom until recently. By the time he had some symptoms and saw a doctor, the cancer was spread.

He was visiting Maui with his partner this month to heal his cancer. One night, he started to have an excruciating pain, and he was admitted to an emergency room. The next morning, he left this world.

Everything happened so quickly, so keeping my head and heart up with them was a challenge. I could manage to act with my head, but my heart had not comprehended what happened. I easily could see him appearing again and saying, "It was a bad joke!"

On the night of the day he passed away, we had a ceremony at his partner's house (they were renting a house on Maui). People who have known him gathered. We talked about memories with him, chanted, prayed, and sang sings for him. I felt his spirit around us as if to say, "Everything is all right. I am okay. I am at a very good place now."

The moment when my heart finally comprehended his death was when I participated a cremation ceremony. He looked clean and calm. We decorated his coffin with flowers. It was a sincere, hand-made, beautiful ceremony. When the top of the coffin was closed and was about to put in fire, his partner started to wail. Seeing her crying bitterly with grief helped me to finally accept his death. I was able to let myself cry from the bottom of my heart. I cried quietly as I was looking up the ceiling of the mortuary. I knew that our souls live forever, and we all can be connected with him forever, but it was still sad that I could not joke around and laugh with him and hug him as a human anymore. I tasted the sadness firmly because I thought it was one of the pleasures of living as a human. After I let myself cry, I felt refreshed. I felt that I could move on after I surely accepted what have happened. I appreciated that his partner showed her emotions so openly. I was appreciative that we held the space for her to feel safe enough to cry. I appreciated each and every person who was there to support her. After awhile, she stopped crying, stood up strongly with a big smile on her face, and held a baby of her friend. The baby's smiles and giggles reminded all of us the beauty of life. Life goes on, and life goes around. Even this baby will leave this world someday. We all do. Until then, I want to live my life to its fullest by embodying who I really am and enjoy its process.

I would like to take over his wish, "live in harmony with everyone," and walk on with a sense of humor and courage in my heart. Thank you.

--------------------------------Japanese--------------------------------


八年前に知り合った友人が12月17日の朝に亡くなった。

彼は私にとって友達のようであり、大きな兄のような存在であった。頻繁には会えず、一年に一度くらいしか会えなかったが、「元気でやっているか?」と会う度に気にかけてくれていた。私は彼の大きな笑顔と笑いのセンスが好きだった。彼が同じ部屋にいることはいつもよく分かった。なぜならいつも彼は周りの人を笑わせていたから。

突然の知らせだった。彼の肝臓が癌に侵されていた。肝臓は「沈黙の臓器」と呼ばれるだけあって、症状が出てきた頃には既に癌は大分広がっていたそうだ。

今月、彼は病気を癒すためにパートナーと一緒にマウイを訪れていた。ある晩痛みが激しくなり、彼はとうとう救命救急室に運ばれた。その翌朝、彼はこの世をあとにした。

全てのことががあまりにも早く起こって、私は自分の心と頭をついていかすのが大変だった。とにかく行動をすることは頭で何とか出来たのだけど、心はまだ彼の「死」を現実味を通して感じられず、まだ彼がひょっこり現れて「今のは冗談だっよー」なんて言うのではないかとさえ思った。

彼が亡くなった日の晩に、彼のパートナーの家で(彼らはマウイで家を借りていたので)セレモニーが行われた。マウイ在住の彼を知る人々が集まって彼を偲んだ。それぞれに彼との思い出を語ったり、彼へお祈りや歌を奉げたりした。彼のスピリットが私たちの周りにいるのを感じた。「大丈夫だよ。僕は大丈夫だよ。今、とってもいいところにいるんだ。」と言っているような気がした。

彼がこの世からいなくなってしまったことを心で認識出来たのは、彼の火葬セレモニーに出席したときだったと思う。棺の中に横たわる彼の顔はすがすがしく、穏やかな笑顔だった。沢山の花で棺の中を飾った。自然で心のこもった手作りのセレモニーであった。いよいよ棺の蓋が閉められ、火葬される間際になって彼のパートナーが号泣し始めた。それを見て私の中でやっと彼の死を受け入れられた。私も静かに、セレモニー会場の天井を見上げながら、しっかりと泣いた。やっと心と頭が追いついたときだった。魂は永遠の存在で、彼ともずっと繋がっていられるのも分かっていても、人間としてこの世で話したり、笑いあったり、ハグしたりすることが出来ない事実は悲しかった。その悲しさをしっかりと味わっておいた。それが人間として生まれてきた醍醐味の一つだと思ったから。ひとしきり泣いた後はすっきりした。泣くことによって彼の死をちゃんと受け入れられ、前へ進んでいけるような気がした。だから彼のパートナーがあのように正直に感情を表してくれて有難かった。そして彼女が安心して心をむき出しに出来る空間を作れていたことが有難かった。あの空間を保持してくれた一人一人が尊(とうと)かった。しばらくして彼女は泣いてから、満面の笑顔と共に力強く立ち上がり、そこに出席していた友人の赤ちゃんを抱いた。赤ちゃんの笑い声が私たち皆に人生の美しさを思い出させてくれた。生は続き、生は巡り回る。あの赤ちゃんだっていつかはこの世を去る日が来る。私たち皆、いつかは。それまでの間、私は自分の生を「本当の自分」を体現することによって、そしてそのプロセスを楽しむことによって思いっきり生き抜きたいと思う。

これからは、彼が願っていた「みんなで仲良く」の祈りを少しでも引き継いで、彼の残してくれた勇気と笑いの心を胸に生きていこうと思う。ありがとう。

No comments: