8/10/2007

An Umbilical Cord and Surfing 臍の緒とサーフィン


I took a surf lesson from a Japanese professional surfer, Tetsuo Hosokawa.

There are a couple of reasons why I decided to take a surf lesson.

I have been surfing occasionally, but I have been feeling that I do not have a solid foundation of surfing. I know that one way to get better at it is to keep surfing. However, as a strong house would not be built upon a weak foundation, I believe that solid foundation would be important if I want to get good at it in the future. I wanted somebody to observe me surfing and correct what I am doing wrong, so that it won’t become my bad habit before too late.

Also, I wanted to meet some Japanese surfers whom I can talk about surfing in my own language, Japanese.

I learned about this surf lesson from a blog "Maui Tou Horohoro Kurashi" made by a Japanese photographer, Hiro. I happened to come across with his blog in the past, and I have been visiting his blog once awhile. From his blog, I learned that his wife runs a company called Maui Dayz which helps Japanese tourists to have a great time on Maui.

At the same time, I happened to come upon Tetsuo Hosokawa’s blog. I also have been enjoying his blog for the past couple of months. I did not know that Mr. Hosokawa and Hiro’s wife, Kana are friends until recently. From their sites, I simultaneously learned that Mr. Hosokawa was going to have a surf lesson on Maui, and it got me interested in taking his lesson.

The day we had the surf lesson, there were not much waves, but we finally settled at Launipoko in Lahaina side. Mr. Hosokawa taught me from the basic, and everything he said made sense to me. It was nice to neutralize myself regarding the surf knowledge and experiences I have had and be open minded. (It does not mean that I disregarded them. They were all valuable to me, so I just put them aside to get more information in.)

I was the only student, so I could ask all the questions :) It was very fortunate. I learned good tricks that I did not know before from the lesson, and they will definitely help me to improve my surf skill (if I practice : p).

Kana has been surfing for a long time, too. She will participate in a surf competition held this weekend, so she was getting herself ready for it.

One thing stood out in my mind was that he said that my bellybutton should be on the bellybutton of the surfboard. Every surf board has its bellybutton, according to Mr. Hosokawa. That’s where you hold balance. To me, it was fascinating. To surf a wave, my bellybutton and a surf board’s belly button need to be connected. It is like being connected with a mother through an umbilical cord when we were babies. In order to survive, we had to be. Waves are born from the sun heating the water (ocean) and the air, and the heated water and air generate movements, and the movement hit the land and become waves. All the four elements, fire, water, earth, and air are included in the process of giving birth to waves. And, we, human beings, play on the beautiful products of Mother Nature as we tune into them by being connected through our invisible “umbilical cord.”

How beautiful is that?

-----------------------------(Japanese)-----------------------------


日本人のプロサーファーである細川哲夫氏のサーフレッスンを受講しました。

サーフレッスンを取ろうと思った理由はいくつかあります。

サーフィンは時々していますが、ちゃんと基本が出来ていないのではないかとずっと思っていました。上手になりたかったら、とにかく海に入るのが一つの方法だと思いますが、中途半端な土台には強い家は建てられないのと同じで、もし将来的にある程度上手になりたかったら、しっかりと基礎を築いておかないといけないなと思ったのです。誰かに私のサーフィンを見てもらって、今やっている間違ったことを指摘してもらって、それらが癖になってしまう前に直したいなと思ったのです。

それから、サーフィンについて母国語の日本語で話せる人に会いたかったというのももう一つの理由です。

細川さんのレッスンを知ったきっかけは、Hiro吉さんという日本人の写真家さんのブログを通してです。彼のブログをたまたま、インターネット上で見つけて時々見させてもらっていたのですが、彼のブログから奥さんのKanaさんが、日本人の観光客の方がマウイで素敵な時間を過ごせるようにお手伝いをしているMaui Dayzという会社をしていることを知りました。

丁度、Hiro吉さんのブログを見つけた頃、細川さんのブログも見つけ、時々訪れては楽しく読ませてもらっていました。そして、細川さんとKanaさんが友達だったことを、最近お二人のサイト上でレッスンの告知があって知りました。

当日は、波がなかなか無かったのですが、ラハイナ寄りのラウニポコで落ち着きました。基礎から教えてもらい、細川さんが言っていたことは、「ふん、ふん。なるほど。」と全て納得がいくことばかりでした。自分の今までの知識と経験をニュートラルにして(ないがしろにするという意味ではありませんが、横に置いておいてという意味)、もう一度真っ白いところから学べて、自分のためになりました。

生徒は私一人でしたので、ワンツーマンで受けられてラッキーでした。今まで知らなかったことも沢山学び、それらが私のサーフスキルを上げてくれることでしょう!(私がちゃんと練習したらの話ですが:p)

レッスンの中で印象深かったことの一つは、細川さんが私のおへそがボードのおへその上にあるようにと言ったことです。全てのボードに「おへそ」があるそうです。つまり、そこが一番バランスが取れるところです。このコンセプトが面白かった!波に乗るためには、私のおへそがボードのおへそと繋がっていないといけないわけです。まるで赤ちゃんのときに、臍の緒を通して、お母さんと繋がっていたみたいです。生きるためには繋がっていないといけませんでした。波は、太陽によって温められた空気と水(海)が動きを生み、その動きが陸に当たり生まれます。火、水、風、地の4つのエレメント(四大)がちゃんとそこにあります。そして、私たち人間は「臍の緒」を通して、それらのエレメントに同調しながら、母なる自然の産物の上で遊びます。

何てきれいなことかしら。

-------------------------------------------------

マウイ島ホロホロ暮らし(Hiro吉さんのブログ)
http://mauiholoholo.blog70.fc2.com/

Maui Dayz
http://www.mauidayz.com/

「細川哲夫のサーフクリニック」
http://www.hosokawatetsuo.com/index.php

細川哲夫のブログ「Suring is Life」
http://blog34.fc2.com/tetsurf/

No comments: