5/15/2007

Mother's Day 母の日


This past Sunday was Mother's Day.

I sent a card to my mom and also ordered flowers to be delivered to her from a local flower shop in her town.

When I was younger, I used to buy Carnations on every Mother's Day.
The habit of giving her flowers still exist.

This year, I ordered flowers from a shop called Fleur Ventvert located in Matsuyama-city, Ehime-prefecture, Japan. The store owner is a very charming person who loves flowers. Her name is Ms. Momoko Saeki. Momo means peach in Japanese. What a suitable name for a lady like her. I visited her shop this past winter when I was in Japan. The first time I spoke with her was when my mother got into a car accident last year, and I ordered flowers to cheer her up. That time, Ms. Saeki listened to my request carefully, answered my questions in a very timely manner, and I loved her kind voice. My mother enjoyed flowers arranged by Ms. Saeki. She also has a keen sense of beauty; she is an artist who knows how to bring out beauty of flowers to their best.

My mom used to tell me that no parent is perfect, yet every parent is already perfect in the way they are. This statement contradicted with itself, but I agree with her. There is a fact that we cannot help to make mistakes in our lives. On the other hand, “what is perfect?” Her word helped me, a perfectionist to breathe more easily and told me that I am already ‘perfect’ the way I am. She shared with me mistakes she has made as she raised me and my brother. I do no think that she was a terrible mother at all; in fact, she as a great mother. Yet, there are things that she regrets that she did. Wow, even my mom who raised me healthily and well has tons of regrets? How hard is it to be a mom?

I think that one of the toughest jobs in this world must be being a parent. As Mother's Day was approaching, I thought about it more than usual. They are mothers 24 hours 7 days. No break. Maybe they can take a trip without children, but the fact that they are mothers never changes. I admire every single mother on this planet for that reason. Everybody is doing their best.

I also think of my grandmothers. Without them, my parents would not be here, meaning I wouldn't be here either. The life has been passed on.

Mothers, mothers. They gave birth to us. They are strong. They smell nice. They work hard. They nurture us. They always put their arms out to embrace us no matter what. Mothers, mothers...

The below is a message I wrote to my mom this year.

"I think of you even when it's not Mother's Day, but I especially think of you on this day. I think that I grew up without believing the world is a terrible place because you protected me well like a bird puts all her squabs under her wing. And, the reason I could leave the comfortable place to build my own life was because you put strong wings on my back and told me and said, "You go now." And, as I learn that the world has more scary aspects than I knew, I still cannot stop loving to be alive. It is because you have been teaching me that the universe is a beautiful place no matter what. My home of soul is in God's arms. My heart and body's home is in your arms. Thank you for giving me a place where I can go back."


(Photos: Flowers are from Emi's garden. She gave me these beautiful flowers last week.)

---------------------------(Japanese)----------------------------


先週の日曜日は母の日でしたね。

私はマウイから母の日カードを送ったのと、母の住んでいる町にある花屋さんからお花を配達してもらうように手配しました。

小さい頃はよくカーネーションをあげていました。そのお花を贈る癖(習慣)はすっかり私に根付いたようです。

今年は愛媛県の松山市にあるフルール ヴァンヴェールというお花屋さんで注文しました。お店の店長さんである佐伯桃子さんという方はお花を愛するとてもチャーミングな方です。お花屋さんになった桃子さん、なんてぴったりなお名前をお持ちでしょうか。(私達の名前にはこの人生で成し遂げたいと生前に思っていたことのヒントが含まれているそうです。桃子さんの場合はお花に関するお仕事に就くということが天命だったのでしょうね。)この前の冬に日本に帰った際に、桃子さんのお店に顔を出させて頂いたりしてました。一番最初に桃子さんとお話したのは、母が昨年交通事故に遭った際に活気付けられればと思ってお花を注文したときでした。私のリクエストに慎重に耳を傾けてくれ、質問には早急に答えてくれ、特に彼女の親切なお声に励まされたものです。母も彼女の作ったお花のアレンジメントをとても喜んでおりました。彼女はお花たちの美しさを最大に引き出す才能の持ち主(アーティスト)なんだと思います。

「完璧な親はいないのよ。」母が言っていました。「それでもみんなそのままで完璧。」とも。間違いを起こしたくない反面どうしても「完璧」にはなれない事実が私達人間にはあります。一方で何をもって完璧とするか。「完璧な親はいない」という母の言葉は完璧主義の私にとっては、救いの言葉の一つであり、一生懸命やっている私そのままでもう既に「完璧」であることを思わせてくれました。母は私と弟を育てていくうえで誤ってしてしまった間違いを私とシェアしてくれたことがあります。母はダメな母親ではまったくもってなく、とても素晴らしい母親業をまっとうしてくれました。今もしてくれています。それでも、今でも後悔する出来事ことはあるそうです。私を立派に健康に育ててくれた母でも後悔することがあるって?母親業ってどれだけ大変なんだ??

母親(もしくは父親)であることは、この世の中に存在する仕事中でもとても大変な仕事の一つだと思います。母の日が近づくに連れてよくそのことを思いました。だって、親って24時間、週に7日の仕事です。子どもを預けて少しのバカンスに出掛けることは出来るかもしれません。それでも、親であるという事実はバカンス中も変わることがありません。この世に存在する一人一人の母親達に「あっぱれ!」と叫びたい。

おばあちゃん、おじいちゃんのことも考えました。彼らなしでは、私の両親は存在しませんから。そして私も。命は引き継がれています。

母たちよ、母たちよ。生を授けてくれました。あなたたちは強くていいにおいがします。働き者です。私達を育んでくれます。そしていつも何があろうと両腕をいっぱいに広げて抱きしめてくれます。母達よ、母達よ。

以下のメッセージを母に書きました。
「お母さんへ

母の日以外にもよくお母さんのことを想います。でも母の日には特別によく想います。この世界はこわい所だと思うことなく育ったのはお母さんがいつも守ってくれていたからだと思います。そして、その守られていた居心地の良いところから外の世界に出ていこうと思えたのもお母さんが丈夫な羽を私の背中に付けてくれて、「さぁ行ってらっしゃい。」と言ってくれたからだと思います。そして今、「外」の世界で自立していこうとやっている私がはこの世界は思っていたよりも怖い面もあるんだなと思いつつ、それでも生きることを愛してやまないのは、お母さんが「それでもこの世界は美しい」ということを常に教えてくれているからだと思います。私の魂のふるさとは神さまの懐に。私の心と体のふるさとはお母さんの腕の中。帰れるところをいつも用意してくれていてありがとう。

安佳里」

(写真たち:先週EmiがくれたEmiのガーデンで育った美しい花達です。)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

あかりちゃんへ

素敵ですね♪あたしも関西に住んでいる実家の母にお花とお菓子をプレゼントしました。
喜んでもらうのは、うれしいですね!

いつも楽しみにブログを拝見させて頂いています。

               HIROMI

Akari Ueoka said...

HIROMIさんへ

ブログへの訪問とコメントを残してくださってありがとうございます。

関西におられるお母様、さぞかし喜ばれたことでしょうね。私の親にとっては子どもが元気で自分の人生を謳歌していることが
最大の親孝行だそうです。そのように孝行できるよう励みたいと思います(笑)。

HIROMIさんが初夏の季節を健康で過ごされていますことを願いつつ、この度は失礼させて頂きます。

安佳里