5/18/2007

Completed Mobiles モビール完成


Students finished making their mobiles. They made them for their mothers. All of them look nice and cute. I would probably cry each time when my child gives me something like this when I become a mom.


It is sweet that 5th graders still can say, “I love you, mom” without hesitation. I hope they had a nice Mother’s Day.


Here on Maui (in America), I see students, even high school students, saying, “I love you” as their parents drop them off at school in the morning. Younger students kiss and hug with their parents, and older students don’t really do that any more but at least say, “I love you” to their parents. I think that people are raised here with a concept that “I love you” is one of expressions that should be verbalized in everyday lives such as “Itadakimasu” and “Gochisousama-deshita” in Japan. (There are no direct translations for these two Japanese words in English. Japanese people say “Itadakimasu” before a meal and “Gochisousama-deshita” at the end of a meal. The closest meaning would be “I am going to take this food into my body now. Thank you very much for nourishing me. Universe, thank you for producing this food. Farmers, thank you for taking care of this food. Cooks, Thank you for preparing this food.” “Goshisosusama-deshita” would be “Thank you very much for this food I just ate.”)

So, “I love you” is categorized under expression that is not embarrassing to say in front of other people here. In Japan, people don’t really say it openly, but I am not saying that it’s not good or bad; I am just interested in the cultural difference. On other hand, there are no “Itadakimasu” and “Gochisousama-deshita” in America. I don’t feel ‘right’ if I don’t say them when I have a meal, so I cannot help to say them everywhere I go. (Now, even Loren is saying them :) I think that in Japan, other ways of expressing “I love you” is developed through certain gestures and actions.

I think that English word of “I love you” seem to fit any situation no matter if it’s serious or casual, but Japanese word of “I love you (Aishite-imasu)” sounds too serious for a casual occasion like between friends. I wonder if we are the new generation that will begin to say, “Aishiteruyo (I love ya)” without constrain. At the same time, I hope that we will remember the beautiful tradition that Japan has developed over generations that to express love without words.

Since I started to live here, I begun to say, “I love you” without hesitation, and it is probably influenced by American culture. There is no guarantee that I will have ‘tomorrow.’ While I am alive, I want to tell as many people as I can that I love them. So, I am grateful that being able to say “I love you” is a very handy skill.

I love you. Aishiteru yo.

---------------------------------(Japanese)------------------------------


生徒たちがモビールを作り終えました。これらのもビールは彼らのお母さんたちへのプレゼントとして作られました。みんな上手にかわいく出来ました。私は母親になったとき、このような物を子どもからもらったらその度に泣くような気がします(笑)。


小学五年生という、もう大きなお兄ちゃん、お姉ちゃんなんだけど「お母さん、愛してるよ!(大好きだよ!)」ってこんな風に堂々と言えるってステキです。すてきな母の日を過ごせたことでしょう。

マウイでは(アメリカでは)割りと(高校生でも)朝の学校への送迎で車から降りる際に「I love you.」って保護者の方とお互いに言っている姿が見受けられます。小学低学年の子はキスしてギューってしたり、高学年になるとさすがに友達の前では恥ずかしいのか、キスはしないまでも「I love you.」とは一応言っていますね。それはきっと日本でいう「ご馳走様でした。」とか「いただきます。」に近い、日常の中で言葉に出すべきことの一つとして育てられているからだと思います。なので人前で言ってもは恥ずかしいことではない言葉に分類されるようです。日本はあまりおおっぴらにそういったことを言いませんが、それが良い悪いと言っているのではなく、ただ文化の違いを興味深く思います。アメリカには「いただきます。」と「ご馳走さま。」がありませんしね。私はこれらを言わないと気持ちが座らないので、どこへ行っても食事の際には言っています。(今ではローレンも真似して言っています(笑)。)日本では「I love you.」の気持ちはたとえ言葉に出されなくても、行為や何気ない動作で示す方法が発達していると思います。また、英語の「I love you.」はカジュアルにもシリアスな場面にも使える言葉だと思いますが、日本語訳した「愛しています。」はどうもカジュアルな場面や友達同士ではしっくりこないと思うのは私だけでしょうか。「愛してるよ。」と気軽に言い合える世代がこれから作られるのかな。それと同時に日本が長い歴史の上で築き上げた言葉の無いところに気持ちを表現する美もしっかりと伝承していきたいものです。

こちらに住み始めてから「I love you」と臆することなく人に言えるようになったのはアメリカ文化の影響なのでしょう。自分にいつも明日が来るとは限りません。生きている間に出来るだけ沢山の人に私が彼らのことを愛していることを伝えたい際に、「I love you」と言えるようになった事実は大変便利なことであります。

I love you. 愛してるよん。

No comments: