5/12/2007

Dalai Lama's Visit ダライラマの訪問


On April 24th and 25th, I went to His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama's speech that was held at the War Memorial Stadium in Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii. I was looking forward those days since last year. Finally, they came. On the first day, I went by myself. (On the 2nd day, I went with Loren and our friends.) I sat on a bench of the stadium looking down the stage where he would appear. There was a large screen next to the stage that projects his face, so that everyone could see him close.

The sun was high above, the sky was light blue with some white clouds; it was a gusty day. My mind was calm, only regretting that I did not bring a hat or sunglasses to see well. The sun was directly shining on our faces. I shaded my face with a brochure of Dalai Lama given at the entrance. It was printed on a thick paper. Even small brochure helped me. Thank you, Dalai Lama.

Tears came out of my eyes when I finally witnessed a body surrounded by maroon color fabric and enfolds a soul called His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama. I did not know why. I am not a strong follower of his teaching like other folks although I very much respect him and try to learn as much as I can. Just sharing the same space with his energy was some sort of blessing. It was beautiful to see the Tibetan culture and Hawaiian culture meet together as leis and white scarves were exchanged.

I enjoyed his speech about the Human Approach to the World Peace.

The followings are some notes I took.

  • The most reliable friend is the compassionate heart inside of us.
  • Compassion was seeded in our hearts when we were born (I think that it means that we are all capable of being compassionate.)
  • Hatred has fixed object(s) where as Love can extend to everything.
  • If you deal with problems with anger and frustration, it is like pouring oil into fire. When you deal with them calmly, peaceful solutions will unfold themselves.
  • “China is giving me a chance to learn patient. I see it as a precious teacher instead of source of obstacle.”
  • People who have anger whether they are aware or not have a harder time to heal themselves.
  • “I am a Buddhist, but I am not attached to Buddhism.”
  • Children are the future. It is up to children of now to make 21st century as a peaceful or violent world.
  • It is almost suicidal when a native culture isolates itself from the rest of the world. There must be a way to survive by educating ourselves to compromise with the rest of the world. (Someone told me when a culture is exhibited at a museum, it means it’s dead. There is no other place to experience it besides a museum. In order to avoid that, we need to practice the culture in our lives. In order to do that, we need to be educated to educate others about our cultures. I think that this applies to kimono in my case. I need to study about kimono, a part of Japanese culture in order to use it my everyday life and also to talk about it with people.)

The most powerful statement of him was “China is giving me a chance to learn patient. I see it as a precious teacher instead of source of obstacle.” This statement makes me cry because I see tremendous beauty of powerful potential the Universe has given humans. It also reminds me of what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

One scene caught my eyes was him surrounded by dozens of armed security guards as he left the stadium. Those security guards were not simple guards but were wearing thick bullet-proof vests with rifles in their arms. They were carefully walking besides a small, beautiful monk walking simply yet with grace on this earth, and they were ready to trigger the guns if they had to. When I saw that, I felt that it symbolized our dilemma of our human consciousness as of today. I wondered how Dalai Lama must feel being surrounded by these weapons when he wants all of us to drop our weapons. He must be sad.

I strongly wish that he can be a simple monk again. I will do what I need to do until the day comes.

I am a member of Students for Free Tibet. If you are interested in learning more about what you can do, please visit http://www.studentsforafreetibet.org/

---------------------------(Japanese)-------------------------------


4月24日と25日にマウイのワイルクという町にある戦争記念スタジアムにて催されたダライラマの講演に行って来ました。

ダライラマが来ると聞いた昨年からとても楽しみにしていました。やっとその日がやってきました。

24日には一人で行きました。(25日はローレンと友達と。)円形状になったスタジアムは普段はフットボールやサッカーの試合に使われるマウイで一番大きな(唯一かな)20,000人を収容するスタジアムです。階段状になったベンチの上の方に座り、ダライラマが座るであろう椅子が置かれてあるステージを見下ろしました。ステージの横には大きなテレビ(テレビって言わないと思うんだけど、何て言うのか分からないので)が設置され、遠くに座っている人でも彼の表情などを見れるようになっていました。

お日様は空のてっぺんにありました。空は水色でところどころに白い雲。そして風の強い日でした。私はサングラスか帽子を持って来るのを忘れたことを悔やむ以外は、気持ちが静かに満たされていくのを楽しんでいました。午後2時ということもあって、お日様は人々の顔を強く照らしておりましたが入り口でもらったダライラマのパンフレットで顔に影を作ることが出来ました。それが良質の硬い紙で出来ていたもので助かりました。たかがパンフレットでありながら、ダライラマのパンフレットはとても助かりました。ありがたや。

ダライラマという魂を入れた体が栗色の布に包まれてステージに現れたときには、涙が一筋流れました。何故かは分かりません。勿論彼の教えはとても心に響いてもっと勉強したいと思いますが、私は特別に信仰深いチベット仏教の信奉者でもありません。ただ、彼のエネルギーに満たされたと同じスペースに存在しているという祝福とそれを待ちわびた沢山の人たちのエネルギーに共感したのでしょうか。ハワイのレイとチベットの白いスカーフがお互いに交換され、二つの文化の出会う風景は美しいものでした。

彼の「世界平和への人間的アプローチ」の講演は楽しくもあり、学びも多かったです。
以下が書き取ったノートです。

  • 一番信用の置ける友達は、私達の内にある思いやりのある心だ。
  • 思いやりの心は、全ての人の心に生まれたときに自然と種付けられた。(つまり皆、思いやりに溢れた人になれるという意味だと思う。)
  • 憎しみには何か標的があるけど、愛は全てに注がれる。
  • 問題があるとき、それらを怒りやいらいらした心で解決しようとすると、火に油を注ぐようなもので解決しない。でも平穏な心で向かい合えば良い解決方法に導かれる。
  • 「中国は忍耐を学ぶ機会を私に与えてくれている。(中国がチベットを侵略したことを踏まえて)問題の源というよりも、(中国を)偉大な先生として見ている。」
  • 気づいているか気づいてないかに関わらず、怒りを保持している人は、なかなか傷を癒しにくい。
  • 「私は仏教徒だが、仏教が一番良いとかそういう思いはない。」
  • ネイティブ(伝統的な)文化が自身を他から切り離し、世界から孤立するのはほとんど自殺行為に近い。ネイティブ文化を守るためには教育を身に付け、世界と上手く折り合っていくことが大切だ。(誰かがこう言っていました。「博物館に飾られたときが、その文化の死を意味する。」なるほどねと思いました。確かに博物館以外にその文化に触れる機会が無くなったら、その文化はもう生きていないと言えるのかな。だって生きている文化って私達の生活の中で日常的に使われているものだから。博物館行きを阻止するためには、他に自分達の文化を伝えられるくらい教育を身に付けなくてはいけない。これは私の場合は着物に当てはまるかな。日本の文化である着物を勉強して、日頃から着たりして、色々な人と着物の良さや歴史を伝えること。)

一番胸に残った言葉は「中国は忍耐を学ぶ機会を私に与えてくれている。問題の源というよりも偉大な先生として見ている。」この言葉に私は泣かされます。そこに宇宙が(神が)人間に与えてくれた想像もつかないような美しい可能性を秘めているからだと思います。そしてマーティン・ルーサー・キング・ジュニアが言った言葉を思い出させます。「闇は闇を退けることは出来ない。光だけが闇を闇でなくさせられる。憎しみは憎しみを消すことは出来ない。愛だけがそれを出来る。」

そして私の注意を引いた光景は、ダライラマがスタジアムを出ていくにあたって、12人以上のガードマンたちが彼を囲んで歩いているものでした。このガードマンたちはただのガードマンではなく、厚い防弾ベストを着て、長いライフル銃を手に持っていました。その小さなお坊さんが、質素に優美に大地を踏みしめている横でガードマン達は注意深く、いつでも銃の引き金を引ける姿勢で歩いているのでした。その光景は、現在の私達人類のジレンマを象徴しているような気がしました。全ての人に銃を放棄してもらうことを心から願っているダライラマがどんな気持ちで歩いていたのだろう。きっと彼は悲しいに違いない。

彼が再び、一(いち)お坊さんに戻れる日が来ることを願わずにはおられません。そのために出来ることに私は貢献していきたいです。

ダライラマ法王日本代表部事務所 http://www.tibethouse.jp/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

父の怪我と病気で、1ヶ月近くバタバタしてしまっていて、かなり心身疲れていたのですが、Akariさんのブログ見て、なんだかスーっといろんなものが引いて行くのを感じて、なんだか涙出てきました。
ありがとう、また羽を休めに来ます。

Akari Ueoka said...

keicoさんへ

ブログを訪れて頂いた上に、コメントまで残して頂いてありがとうございます。

私も彼と一緒に彼の祖母のお世話をさせて頂いているので、誰かの(特に家族の)助けをすることがどれほどのエネルギーが心身共に使われるか身を持って経験していますもので、keicoさんの身の上を案じております。

一番はやはり自分を大切にすることを忘れてはなりませんね。自分がをないがしろにされていますと、少しの間は良いのですが、時間が経過するにあたり自分のエネルギーが濁ってきまして、周りの人や自分の周りで起こる出来事にも影響してくるような気がします。

自分がハッピーでいることで、彼の祖母のお世話も楽しんで出来るようです。私の場合はまだまだ練習が必要ですが。

私のブログがkeicoさんの羽休みの場になっていると聞いてこれ以上嬉しいことはありません。こちらこそ、こうして私の日常をシェアさせて頂いてありがとうございます。

どうかお体をご自愛くださいね。

安佳里