6/22/2007

Scheduling 予定を立てること


(Loren pretending to drive it at a store. He asked me, "Please buy this one for me, please?" I said, "Sure, next time." It's not related to today's story at all, though.)

When I was an elementary school student, during a summer break, I often did homework at the last minute. (My friends say it's kind of surprising to know that aspect of me, though.) I liked writing diaries; I was writing one everyday, so it was not a problem. (In Japan, many teachers require students to write journal entries during a summer break.) But, like doing projects for science and art class were always done at the last minute.

I wonder why... Why do people procrastinate? They have to be done anyway at some point, and then why didn't I do them, so that I could play all I wanted without thinking of them.

As I grew up, I begun scheduling. I asked my parents for a cute schedule book. The junior high school I went prepared a scheduling sheet for each student before a mid-term exam and a final exam. We could write down information about the tests and write down when to study what. I learned to plan; however, I did not know how to plan realistically at that time. I often frustrated with myself for not being able to stick with the planned schedule.

In high school, my life got much busier. I had a morning practice for the rhythmic gymnastic club from 7:30 to 8:30, and I had classes from 8:45 to 3:45, and I had afternoon practice from 4:00 to 7:00 (even 9:00 pm sometimes before a competition), and then, I used to go to "Yosakoi Honjin" where I used to dance Yosakoi dance for tourists and local people. Sometimes we had rehearsals after that which ended around 12:00 am! And I was transporting myself with my bicycle (not a car; in Japan, we cannot drive a car until 18 years old). Wow, I cannot imagine myself doing that now. Despite of my busy schedule, the high school I chose was a college preparation school, meaning that there were a lot of tests and large amount of homework. Every Monday, we had a test, and if we did not pass a certain point, we had to take it again. I chose the high school because I wanted to go to a four-year university and wanted to do rhythmic gymnastic, but I was feeling like, "Maybe, I am at a wrong place" around my second year. Back then, all I wanted to do was to dance. And I was anxious to find out that what I wanted to learn was not being taught at Japanese universities and sort of lost my motivation to study for college entrance exam. And I had an eating disorder which made me rejected to go to school for awhile. Despite of all these, I was maintaining my GPA pretty well. But one day, I received an awful point for a math test. Actually, it was a good thing for me. Something inside of crumbled away. I realized that I did not have to be an "A student" anymore. It felt so great. Then, I started to be able to make a reasonable plan.

But you know, I am still practicing that.
I have been using this schedule book made by Mujirushi Ryohin in Japan. I write down all the due dates of assignments and plan my schedule according to my guess of how much time I would need to complete them. Not only that, but I also need time for work, seeing friends, going to surf, taking a dance class, and so on. I think I am getting better at balancing all. I'm getting better at saying no to people, too :)

This weekend, I have a UH Face to Face session like I wrote in the previous blog. Although I had a lot of assignments due this weekend, I already finished them all. It's my first time every; I am usually overwhelmed before a weekend session. That's why I am updating my blog :) I cannot believe it! Well, I guess people do grow.

-----------------------------------(Japanese)---------------------------------


(あるお店で運転しているフリのローレン。「買ってくれ」と(冗談で)頼まれたので「うん、今度ね。」と言っておきました。今回のブログとは全く関係のない写真ですが。)

私は小学生の頃、夏休みの最後の週、もしくはギリギリ二日前に慌てて宿題をする子でした。(お友達にはそう見えないと言われるのですが。)日記を書くのは好きでしたので、日記は毎日こつこつ書いておりました。なのでちびまるこちゃんのように、家族全員に過去に起こったことを記憶をたどり、または空想の中で書いてもらうようなことはせずにすみました。しかし、理科の実験や、工作などは結構ギリギリでやっていた思い出があります。

何ででしょうね。人って何でこう後々に伸ばすんでしょう。どうせやらなくちゃいけないんだから、さっさとやってしまえば、宿題という言葉が頭をかすめずに思う存分遊べたでしょうに。

大きくなるにつれ、計画というものを立てるようになりました。スケジュール帳を買ってもらったのもその頃です。中学生の頃は中間試験、期末試験の前に学校側が生徒一人一人に勉強計画表のようなものを丁寧に作ってくれておりましたから、それに試験範囲などを書き込み、この日にはこれとこれを勉強するなど書き込んでおりました。しかしですね、計画を立てることを学んだものの、現実的な計画を立てることはその当時まだ学んでおらず、「あれ?何でこうも計画通りに行かないんだ?」と自分にイライラしていましたね。

高校生になりましたら、とっても忙しくなりました。7時半からの朝練(新体操部でした)、6時限もしくは7時限の授業、午後の部活(夜7時までが普通で、試合前には9時ぐらいまで練習していました)、そしてその後、よさこい本陣という高知市にかつてあったご飯を食べたりよさこいを見れたりするところで踊っていました。更にその後、スガジャズダンススタジオで朝の12時までリハーサルがあったりしたこともありました。(勿論毎日ではなかったですが。)そして全てチャリ移動でした。今考えたら、「よくやっていたなぁ。若いから出来たんだなぁ。」と思います。こんなに忙しいのに、私が選んだ高校は進学校であったため、試験が多く勉強の量もかなりありました。毎週月曜日の朝にはテストがあり、ある一定の点数を取らないと再試験を受けなくてはいけませんでした。四年制大学に行きたかったこと、そして何より新体操を出来ることで選んだ高校でしたが、「あれ?これは場違いなところに来たかも?」と気づいたのは高校2年生を過ぎたころ。その頃はとにかく「三度のご飯よりも踊りたい」という状況でしたし、私が本当に学びたいことは日本の大学では学べないのかも知れないという考えが生まれ始めた頃でしたし、また摂食障害と登校拒否も混じり、かなりアップアップな状態でした。そんな中、学校に行っていない割りには成績は何とか保持しておりました。でもある日、数学でものスゴイ点数を取りました。恥ずかしくて言えないような点数でした。でも、今思えばそれは良いきっかけでした。良い意味で私の中の何かが崩れていきました。いつも「優秀生徒」であった私は、その仮面をそれ以上付け続けなくても良いことを知った時、開放された想いがしましたね。その頃でした。現実的な予定を組めるようになったのは。

と言いましても、今でもそれは練習中です。今は無印良品のスケジュール帳を愛用していますが、全ての課題の期日を書き込み、その課題にかかる時間を想定し、十分な時間があるように予定を組んでいきます。その間に仕事もありますし、人付き合いもありますし、サーフィンに行く時間も要りますし、ダンスのクラスを取る時間も要りますし、色々なことを今はうまくバランス取れるようになったと思います。出来ないことを断るのも上手になってきましたし。

今週末は前回のブログにも書きましたように、大学の週末授業があります。沢山課題がありましたが、全て無事に終わりました。こんなことは初めてです。今までいつも土壇場まで宿題してましたから。ちょっとコワイくらい。人って成長するものですね。
まぁ水前寺清子さんも歌っておられるように、三歩進んで二歩下がるくらいでやっていこうと思います。(今まで「二歩進んで三歩下がる」って言っていたのですが、ある日友人に「あかり、それじゃ前に進んでないよ。」と指摘していただき、「あっ確かにそうだ!」と気づきました。数学で点数が悪かった理由が分かって頂けますでしょうか。なんちって。)

No comments: