12/30/2006

Friends 友達


Thursday, 12/21

After I had a heartwarming lunch, I went to see my friend, Barbara and her beautiful sons. Barbara and I met on Maui about four or five years ago through my dance teacher, Suga. Since then, we have been keeping in touch with each other. Her name does not sound like Japanese, but she is from Uwajima, Ehime which is close to where I am from. She has taught English at university in Japan and has married to a Japanese man who was born and raised in Oregon, U.S. The last time I saw them was probably about two years ago. I was wondering how their sons would look like by now. The oldest son is now a 3rd grader, the second one is almost a 1st grader, and the third one was just born two months ago. It was very nice to see them again, and the boys were a lot bigger than I expected. I was surprised by their rapid growth. The two big boys loved the new-born brother so dearly.

After that, I took another train to go to Ikebukuro. I saw my best friends from high school. When I was a high school student, I was a member of a rhythmic gymnastic club. It was a strict club. We had to practice everyday, even on weekends. The friends I saw in Ikebukuro were also the members of the club. We spent three years together. We probably saw each other more than we saw our families. We went through everything together; we cried and laughed together. When I saw them, I did not feel any strangeness or shyness. We were back to the days in high school right away. We walk on different paths now, but we have this part of our lives that we supported each other so intensely; therefore, we know for sure that the friendship we have will last lifelong and will support us all the way.

After that, I moved to Nerima where I used to live. Before I left Maui, I told my friends in Tokyo that I was going to visit Tokyo, and they suggested having a small reunion. I went to an elementary and junior high school in Tokyo. Junior high school years were the most enjoyable years. Studying was not that hard yet, and my friends made me laugh a lot. I think that I laughed the most during the years. I had a lot of nice friends, and fortunately, I remained contacts with them. One of my guy friends works at "Kushiyaki Gocchi" which is like a Japanese restaurant. He offered us to have the reunion there.

There were about 13 friends. It was so nice to see them again. All of the memories were brought up. Everyone was going their own path as a young adult. Most of them are working. Some are still college students (including myself). Some became parents. I was encouraged by knowing how everyone was creating their own lives. We were small kids, learning how to add and subtract. Now, we drive, go out by ourselves, work and earn money, make decisions on our own, and more...

I was appreciative because I was reminded that I have friends, and they are not just friends but great friends. Thank you, everyone for making it happen while everyone had a busy schedule.




(Miyuki Inn in Kamishakuji, Tokyo. About $40 per night w/o meals)
(Japanese: 東京の上石神井にあるみゆき旅館。一晩お一人で素泊まりで3500円でした。)


An old samurai armor that was displayed in the small Japanese inn I stayed.
(Japanese: 侍の鎧かな。みゆき旅館の玄関に飾られていました。)

-----------------(Japanese)-------------------

12月21日木曜日

心温まるご飯を食べた後は、友達のバーバラと彼女のかわいい息子たちに会いに行きました。バーバラとは4、5年前にマウイで私のダンスの先生である国友須賀を通して知り合いました。彼女の名前バーバラは日本語っぽくありませんが、彼女は私の故郷からそう遠く離れていない愛媛県の宇和島出身です。大学などで英語を教えたこともあるバーバラは、アメリカのオレゴン州出身の日本人の方と結婚しました。バーバラ家族に最後に会ったのは多分二年前くらい。男の子たちが今ではどんなに大きくなっているのかしら?と思っていました。一番上の子が今では3年生、次男が年長さん、三男がつい二ヶ月前に生まれたばかりです。彼らとまた会えて本当に良かった。彼らは私が予想していたよりも大きくなっていてびっくり。上のお兄ちゃんたちは生まれたばかりの弟を大層可愛がっておりました。

それから、私は別の電車に乗って池袋へ移動しました。そこで高校からの友達に会いました。(何人かが高知から引っ越して東京に住んでいるので。)私が高校生の時は、新体操部に所属していました。厳しい部でした。週末は勿論のこと毎日練習がありました。池袋で会った友達も皆新体操部でした。彼女たちとは3年間みっちり過ごしました。きっと家族よりも彼女たちと顔を合わせていた時間の方が多かったと思います。酸いも甘いも全て一緒に経験していきました。彼女たちに池袋で会ったときに、全くもって変な感じや恥ずかしさなどは無く、高校生だった頃の私たちに瞬時にして戻りました。今はそれぞれの道を歩んでいるけれど、私たちにはあれだけお互いを助けあってきた時期があるので、私たちの友情が生涯続き、最期まで助けあっていけることが私にはよく分かります。彼女たちは、私が一番しんどい時にいつも傍にいてくれました。

それから以前住んでいた練馬区へ移動しました。日本に帰って来る前に東京の友達に東京に寄ると伝えたところ、じゃぁ、ミニ同窓会をしようということになったのです。私は東京の練馬区の小学校と中学校に行きました。子どもの頃の思い出で中学校の頃の三年間が一番楽しかったかなぁ。勉強もまだそんなに難しくなかったし、友達に沢山笑わせてもらってました。あの頃が今まで人生の中で一番笑った時期だと思う。いい友達にも恵まれ、幸いなことにその友達とまだ連絡を取り合えています。男友達の一人が「串焼きごっち」という飲み屋さんで働いており、そこでミニ同窓会を出来るように取り計らってくれました。(串焼きごっちは西武池袋線の練馬高野台駅から徒歩10分程のところにあります。皆さん行ってあげてください。電話:03ー5923ー1888)

13人くらいの友達が来てくれました。みんなの顔をまた見れて本当に良かった。沢山の思い出が思い出されました。みんな若い大人としてそれぞれの道を歩んでいます。ほとんどの子が働いていて、何人かは学生です。(私も含め。)また何人かは子育てをしています。みんなそれぞれに自分の人生を切り開いている様子を見て励まされました。私たちは小さな子どもでした。足し算や引き算を習っていた私たちが今では運転したり、自分たちで出掛けて行って、働いてお金をもらって、色々な決断を自分たちでしているわけです・・・。

私はその晩感謝の気持ちでいっぱいでした。私には友達がいるってことを改めて思い出させてくれたから。しかもただの友達じゃなくてすってきーな友達が。みんな、忙しいスケジュールをぬってわざわざ来てくれてありがとう!

No comments: