11/19/2007

The Agony of Labor 産みの苦しみ


(Photo: 'Ulupalakua, upcountry of Maui)
(写真:きれいなウルパラクアという地域の写真)

Lately, some people I care very much are going through some tough time.
I haven't been able to do much for them, and I don't really know what to do. Although I want to cheer them up, all the words I can think of are superficial, and as soon as I speak them, they taste uncomfortable like eating sushi made without any vinegar.

I worry that if I try too much, it might make them even more uncomfortable. When I am feeling down, sometimes, I want people to leave me alone. But at the same time, I wonder if I leave them alone too much (I don’t know how much is too much), they might start to feel lonesome, and I don't want them to think that I don't care about them. So I try to send a message that I am always here for them. The more I think about these things, the more I feel unsure about what to do.

Meanwhile, I often think, "Oh, this method of self-help might help" or "Oh, this movie might cheer them up." So I suggest these things, but often, it is difficult to motivate people who are feeling blue to do something. It is understandable. When I am feeling blue, I don't really want to do much. Though I understand, I sometimes feel like lecturing people who are feeling down by saying, "The sky is blue, the sun is shining. Let’s go!” Then, I have to remind myself how it feels like to feel down. I have to humble myself. It is difficult for me to balance between giving people just right amount of help and an enough space for themselves.

My teeth itch… (In Japan, we have an expression of “My teeth itch” when you want to do something but cannot do.) My teeth itch more than when my wisdom tooth came out.

I especially feel unsettled when the person who is feeling down is my family members, my partner, or my close friends because I feel like it’s my responsibility to make them feel all right again. Then, I get frustrated with myself for not being much help. In the past, I felt as if I failed to be a good supporter when I could not to anything. I assumed that it was my job to help them find the exit to feel better.

About two days ago, I spoke with my mom over the phone, and I told her about my frustration about not knowing what to do and my fear of “failing” again, and she said, “It is sometimes nice that someone who is not so close to you give advise because we sometimes have a hard time listening to someone very close to us.” (My mother gave me permission to share this conversation on my blog.) "So, you don't necessarily have to say anything." I see. My mom continued, “You know, I did not accept what Oto-san (my dad) had been saying about me for more than 10 years. For some reason, I could not listen to him, but now, I think he was pretty much right” and she laughed. This is true. What my mom, dad, my boyfriend, and friends say to me is sometimes hard to listen to. So, I asked my mom, “But, what is the worth of a supporter if I cannot help when my friends, you, or my boyfriend are having a hard time?” My mom told me, “The role of a supporter is to wait without giving up on them.”

Wow... I see how it is!

It made sense to me. When I am depressed, of course, advice and help from my close friends, boyfriend, and family members are appreciated, but when I am trying to find an exit of a maze by trial and error, I do not want them to forcefully pick me up and put me in the right path even if I am taking a roundabout course. I want them to be waiting at the end of the maze by believing in me. I see! So what I understand is that I do not have to provide a 'perfect' advice or help. Just wait for them to stick their heads out of the water surface. (Of course, we need to keep eyes on them for not drowning, though.) Knowing that helped me to feel a bit better.

Then, I asked my mom one more question, “What should I do if I start to get frustrated with some people and myself because I suggested them possible tools to work with, but they do not even try to use the tools and are still feeling low?” My mom replied, “It’s the agony of giving birth.” She continued, “They are doing their very best to experience of being in labor. That experience is theirs. You cannot take it away. Forcefully administering a labor accelerator or pulling the baby out of mother would danger the undeveloped baby and also might hurt the mother."

I think what she meant is that a 'baby' is wisdom which we gain through some difficult times. As I cannot deliver other people's 'baby' for them even if I want to, this challenging situation is only their 'privilege'. I am not doing a favor if I take them away from them. Byron Katie also says, “Everyone has his or her own timing.” I cannot manipulate the timing. After this conversation with my mom, I thought, “Okay, I will hold my friends' hands while they are in ‘labor.’” I will support them as they push the ‘baby’ out. And I will celebrate when their ‘baby’ finally comes out. I guess we all deliver numbers of babies as we go on with our lives. When I thought of difficult times as my labor, I felt stronger. I felt I could do anything for my baby. Also, not just feeling stronger, but I felt appreciation towards the 'labor' itself.

I joked with my mom by telling her, “You seem to be very wise all of sudden. What happened?” My mom said, “Oh, I had my hair cut today, so my head gets good ventilation now,” and she laughed out loud. I love her that she always remembers how humor lightens us. The phone conversation I had with her showed me her ‘babies’ that she has delivered through her life. Thanks you, mom!

(For a kind anonymous person who left a comment earlier: I am sorry that I deleted the previous posting by accident which automatically deleted your comment accompanying the posting. I appreciated your comment. It taught me something that I had overlooked. Please let me know again if you notice something in the future. With Regards.)

------------------------------------Japanese----------------------------------


(Photo: I was eating rasberries, and juice from rasberries dropped on tip of my finger. It was so beautiful, so I carefully grabbed a camera (I did not want the drop to fall out) and took this one. The magnificent universe exists in this world of micro.)
(写真:ラズベリーを食べていたときに、ラズベリーの汁が指先の上に落ちて、それが綺麗だったから指先から落ちないようにそーっとカメラを取りに行って撮りました。こんなミクロな世界にも壮大な宇宙は存在するのね。)

最近、何人かの私にとって大切な人たちが元気がない。
そばにいながら何もしてあげられず、元気になるのをどうやって手伝ってあげたらいいのか分からず、何だか悶々としてしまう。励ましたくても思い浮かぶ言葉はありきたりで、口に出してしまうと、言葉たちは薄っぺらいもので、酢のきいていないお寿司を知らずに食べたような気まずい後味になってしまう。

色々気を使うと、逆に気を使わせてしまいそうだし、自分が落ち込んでるときにそっとしておいて欲しいときってあるし、でもあんまりそっとしていると孤独な気持ちになってしまうんじゃないかなどと思い、「いつでもここにいるからね」というメッセージだけでも伝えてみたり。そんなこんなを色々考えているとなかなか手も足も口も出せなくなる。

それでいて、これをしてみたら気持ちが楽になるんじゃないだろうか、この映画を観てみたら少し心が楽になるんじゃないだろうかと、色々とエラソーにアイディアは出てくるのだ。そして少し提案してみる。でもその提案たちにあまり乗り気にはなってもらえないこともある。落ち込んでいるときって、本当に何にもしたくないものだ。私もその気持ちは良く分かる。落ち込んでいないときって、落ち込んでいたときの気持ちを正確には思い出せないものだから、落ち込んでいる人に対して「空は青いし、お日様ニコニコだし、上を向きましょうよ!」なんて心の中で説教染みた気持ちになってしまうものだ。そんなときは何もせずに相手の気持ちを聴くだけに徹するようにしている。あまりこうしてみたらどうかしらと提案し過ぎて相手をアップアップさせてもいけないし。でも私も落ち込んでいるときに友達が言ってくれた言葉に励まされたことってあるし、そのところの塩梅が難しい。

歯がゆい。(親知らずが生えてきてたとき以上に歯痒い。)

でも落ち込んでいる人が自分のパートナーだったり、親しい友人だったり家族だったりする場合、自分が彼らを元気にする責任があるような気がして落ち着かない。それでいて何にも出来てない自分に苛立ったりしてしまったり。そんなとき、私以外の誰かがどうにか彼らを「落ち込み」モードから脱出するのを手伝って、それが成功するときは私はとても嬉しい反面、友達として、家族として、パートナーとして失格のような気持ちがしたりする。必要としている突破口を見つけるのを手伝うのは私でなければならないなどと勝手に思い込んでいたのだ。とても自分善がりな話だが。

先日、母と電話越しでそのことについて話していて、「それはあかりが言わなかったから良かったのかもしれないよ。」と母が言った。(この話をブログに書くこと母はから承諾済み)私は「へ?」という感じで「どうして?」と聞いてみた。母曰く、身近なに言われると素直に受け入れられないことってあるでしょとのこと。なるほど。自分に一番近くにいる人に言われるとなかなか素直に聞けないときってある。「お母さんも、お父さんが10年前からお母さんに言ってたこと、前までそんなことないって思ってたけど、最近やっぱりお父さんの言ってたことは当たってたなぁと思うようになったのよ。でもお父さんに言われると何でか受け入れられなかったのよね。」そこで母に聞いてみた。「でもさ、助けられないなら何のためのパートナーや、友達や家族なんだろうって思っちゃうよ。」そうすると、母は「サポーターの役割はその人たちのことを諦めないで待っててあげることよ。」だって。

わーお。そうだったのか。

目から鱗が落ちるように、腑に落ちた。確かにそうかも。私が落ち込んでいるとき、周りからの助言も勿論有難いけど、自分でああでもない、こうでもないって試行錯誤しているとき、たとえもしも回り道をしてしまっていても、無理やり「こっちの方が近道だよ」って方向転換させられるよりも、いずれは迷路から出てくることを信じて出口で待っていて欲しいかも。そうか、サポーターはいつもいつも「完璧」な助言を出来なくてもいいんだ。ただそこで水面に顔を出すのを(溺れてないか時々チェックしながら)諦めずに待つだけでも十分なんだなと思うと少し気持ちが楽になった。

落ち込んでブルーになっている時期が長引いて、色々な案も全て却下されて、それでもまだ落ち込んでいる人にイライラしてしまうときはどうしたらいいのかと尋ねたところ、「産みの苦しみなんよ。」と母は言った。「その人は今産みの苦しみを一生懸命経験しているところ。その経験はその人のもの。取り上げちゃだめよ。陣痛促進剤を無理やり投与したり、無理に赤ちゃんを引っ張り出さないであげてね。まだ生まれる準備の出来ていない赤ちゃんを無理やりお母さんのお腹から取り出したら、赤ちゃんはもしかしたら死んじゃうかもしれないし、母体にも影響があるでしょ?」なるほど。その人の「赤ちゃん」はその人のこのしんどい時期から得られる宝石以上に貴重な智恵なのだ。今、その智恵を得るにあたって出産の苦しみを味わっている。その人の代わりに「赤ちゃん」を産んであげることは出来ないように、この経験はその人のものだ。母と話した後、「いい加減そろそろ元気になって欲しいなぁ」と思っていた自分が「十分悩ませてあげようと」思えてきた。バイロン・ケーティーも「人それぞれに、その人のタイミングがある」と言っている。そのタイミングを私が操作することは出来ないのだ。私は傍でその人の手を握ってあげよう。力む時に支えてあげよう。そしてその人の「赤ちゃん」が無事に生まれた日には盛大にお祝いをしてあげよう。そうやって私たちは人生を通して沢山の「赤ちゃん」を産んでいくのだろう。しんどい経験も赤ちゃんを産むためだと思ったら持ちこたえられるような気がした。そして持ちこたえられるだけじゃなくて、有難いものに思えてきた。

母に「ちょっと急に賢くなったんじゃなあい?」なんて冗談を言うと、「今日、髪の毛切ってもらってきたから、頭の風通しが良くなったんじゃないかしら。」と言ってワッハハと笑っていた。母が母の人生を通して産んできた「赤ちゃん」を見させてもらった貴重な電話越しでの会話であった。蟻が十匹(ありがとう)、お母さん。

No comments: