7/05/2007

"There have been times I felt down, but overall, I am doing well."「おちこんだりもしたけれど、私はげんきです。」


"There have been times I felt down, but overall, I am doing well." That's what Kiki says.

Recently, I had an opportunity to watch one of my favorite movies, "Kiki's Delivery Service" when I was babysitting Yasmina, a daughter of Sarala.

The time I babysat her was around evening time (5-6pm). It was her first day to stay at a daycare for all day, so she was tired, and also, she was missing her mom. She was quieter than usual and was like a hurt teddy bear wanting to be left alone at a cave. Usually, we play actively, but this particular day, she requested to watch the movie, "Kiki's Delivery Service" as she lay on her bed. They do not watch a TV regularly, so their TV is stored in a closet, and Sarala sat the TV and DVD up for us before she left for teaching her dance class. At that time, I was also feeling kind of sad and down, so Yasmina and I understood each other and quietly watched the movie.

As Kiki and Jiji appeared on the screen, Yasmina gladly told me, "Jiji is funny." It was interesting to watch the movie that was translated to English, and each character was speaking English. Kiki's voice was similar to the Japanese version, but Jiji's was not. (I personally like the Japanese version of Jiji's voice.)

The very first time I watched this movie was when I was about 6 years old. I clearly remember the day that my mom took my brother, my cousin, and me to a movie theatre. I can remember precisely the very first scene of Kiki lying on the grass as she was listening to the radio's weather report. As we finished watching once, we remained at the movie theatre to watch it again. I was into it that much right away.


As I was watching the movie with Yasmina, I realized that there was me who was watching it from a different perspective than when I was 6. When I was small, I was just enchanted with the fact that Kiki was flying with a bloom and could talk with a cat! Actually, I have straddled on a bloom and concentrated as if I could really fly. (I know you have done it, too ;) Yasmina also has one for herself and plays pretending flying with it.

It was sweet to see the movie as a 24-year-old girl (woman). I was able to put myself in Kiki better. It was because I have done what Kiki does in the movie - living in an unfamiliar place on my own, far away from family. One day, Kiki all of sudden cannot fly with a bloom anymore and losses her confidence in herself; I also have experienced many slumps. As a painter who became Kiki's friend said, "I don't do anything when it's like that. I just wait until I can draw again." When I was feeling down, I often remember this line and tried not to blame myself so much and tried to take it easy.

I exactly know how it feels like to be excited about a new life at a new place without family, experiencing the gap between reality and ideal, meeting new friends, keeping old friends, meeting a boy, responsibility at work, getting scared as I caught a cold when I lived by myself, frustrating and experiencing fear as I could not do things that I used to be able to do, loosing self-confidence, trying to save money by making a pancake, and regaining confidence in myself by believing in myself... I could sympathies with everything Kiki was doing in the movie. I felt encouraged after I watched it.

Now, I am going through a very tough time. Yet, I believe that someday soon, I will be able to say, "There have been times I felt down, but overall, I am doing well."

-------------------------------(Japanese)------------------------------


「おちこんだりもしたけれど、私はげんきです。」

昔から好きな「魔女の宅急便」を最近久しぶりに観る機会がありました。サララのもう少しで3歳になる娘のヤスミナをお守り(ベビーシット)していたときのことでした。

お守りしたのは夕方の時間帯。初めて朝から夕方まで一日中幼稚園(保育園)で過ごしたヤスミナは疲れている上に、お母さんが恋しくて普段よりも静かで、傷ついた動物が穴に潜って療養したいときの感覚を漂わせていました。普段はアクティブに遊ぶのですが、その日は彼女は自分のベッドに寝そべって、「キキを観たい。」と言いました。普段全くテレビを見ないこの家族のテレビはクローゼット(押入れ)の中にあって、扉を開けてみるようになっています。お母さん(サララ)がダンスのクラスを教えるために出掛けて行く前にテレビとDVDをセットアップしてくれました。丁度、私も色々あって落ち込んでいたとき。「そっとしておいてほしい」というヤスミナの気と合って、二人で静かに観ました。

ヤスミナはキキとジジがテレビに現れると嬉しそうに、「あのね、ジジは面白い猫なの。」と教えてくれました。アメリカで見るキキとジジ。全て英語に訳されて、こちらの声優さんの声で収録されています。キキの声は日本のキキの声と似ていたけど、ジジが少し違う感じでした。(私は日本のジジの声の方が好きだなぁ。)

私が初めて「魔女の宅急便」を観たのは小学生の頃でした。何年生だったのかなぁ・・・。6歳くらいだったと思います。(1989年に作られたので。)今でも詳細を覚えています。映画館に母と、弟と、従姉妹の友美姉ちゃんと4人で行きました。キキが草っぱらの上でラジオの天気予報を聞いている場面から始まる映画。その映像が頭の中に鮮明に残っています。一度観終わった後、そのままもう一度観るために映画館に留まったほど私は没頭していました。

ヤスミナとDVDを観ながら、その頃の私とは違う視点で観ている私がいました。小さい頃は、とにかくほうきに乗って空を飛べるっていうことや、猫と話せることに感動して魅了されていたと思います。現に、その頃箒に跨って、本気で飛べるかもしれないと思って集中してみたこともあります。(みんなやったでしょ?)ヤスミナも3歳にして自分の箒を持っています。それで飛ぶ真似をして遊びます。


24歳になって観た魔女の宅急便はまた違って新鮮でした。今はキキの立場に自分を置き換えて観られるようになっていました。それは私がキキがしたように、親元を離れ、知らない土地で自分の生活を切り開いていくという過程を過ごしたからだと思います。そしてキキが一時期、箒で空を飛べなくなってしまったように私にもスランプが何度もありました。「そんな時は何にもしない。また出来るようになるまで待つ。」というキキの友達の絵描きさんの言葉を信じて、また出来るようになるまで自分を責めず、焦らずやれるだけやってきたつもり。

新しい生活に胸躍り、一日も早く自分の力で生活してみたい気持ち、現実と理想とのギャップ、新しい友達との出会い、昔からの友達との付き合い、異性との付き合い、仕事の責任、一人暮らしで風邪をひくときの不安になる感じ、今まで出来ていたことが出来なくなって自分に自信を無くす感覚、ホットケーキで食費を浮かそうとする試みや、最後はやっぱり自分を信じて自分を取り戻す・・・全てに共感できるのでした。キキを観ていて何だかとても励まされました。きっとヤスミナと同じくらい、もしくはヤスミナ以上に映画に見入っていたのでは。

今、実はとても落ち込むようなことと対面している私。それでもいつか近いうちに「おちこんだりもしたけれど、私はげんきです。」とまた言えるようになる日が来ることを心から信じています。

No comments: