7/14/2007

Friends and Organic 友達とオーガニック


After I chatted with my friend N until the last minute, I left for Kobe to see another friend of mine, Y, his wife, and his friends.

I also met Y on Maui about 5 years ago -- at the Taro Festival in Hana, the remote area of Maui.
My first impression of him was, “I met another interesting person!” He was grounded and looked like he just came out of a mountain. His body was pretty thin, yet I could tell that he was strong, and I did not feel the awkward feeling from him that I sometimes felt from some people who were trying so hard to be someone else. He was merged with nature naturally, yet he was not isolating himself from the rest of the world and knew how to communicate with people.

This time, as I decided to come back to Japan at the last minute, I felt that I had to see these friends, K, N, and Y while I had limited time to do so on the way home from the Kansai International Airport to Matsuyama. I think there was a reason, but I didn’t know what it was. It did not mean that these three friends were more important to see than other friends. It was like I was attracted to people whom I needed to see. Interestingly, the first times I met these three friends were on Maui. Maui initiated me with these people who loved Maui so dearly. Without them, I would not have existed on Maui the way I do now.

My friend Y was the first person who taught me how to live in harmony with nature and about organic foods through actual practice. I was already interested in these things even before I met him, but I was feeling like my ideals were ahead of me, and my actual practice did not follow. Or I knew how, but I did not have enough courage to start to live that way yet. Then, Y gave me a push.


Y has a Lunch Therapy regularly at his parents’ house and invited me. It is not formal and is more like a gathering among friends and friends’ friends. We eat lunch together and talk about something seriously and/or just joke around. It is very free. Of course, lunch is prepared by Y and his friend A with all natural materials and seasonings. I was moved by what he has said. I don’t remember each and every word he said, so it’s not accurate, but he said something like this. “I used to tell people, ‘You got do this!’ or ‘You shouldn’t be doing that.’ I demanded and judged people. But I started to feel that it was not right. What I hope is that through what I do in my daily life and through my cooking, people gather here get well from inside and get inspired to think, ‘Oh, maybe I want to live this way,’ so that circle of friends expands, and I hope that we all can work together to make a better place for the future generation." It’s funny for me to say, but I could tell that he accomplished some significant growth. I wanted to give him a round of applause, and at the same time, I felt very encouraged.

Food that Y and his friend A prepared were so yummy and healthful. I felt happy, and my tiredness from the trip was eased. I tend to have simple meals on Maui. (It might be good to eat simply, but I think that mine is too simple and not well balanced.) I felt that I need to pay more attention on energy that I intake in my body.

Not only Y gave me this beautiful lunch but also introduced me to his friends who are all deep and made me want to talk with them for many hours. I also met Y’s wife for the first time (they just married recently). She was so beautiful, and I felt like she was almost transparency. Yet, I could tell that she has a strong core inside. I thought, “Wow, two great people got together!” And, good news is that they are going to have a baby boy in September!

I look forward to seeing everyone next time. We never know where and when we meet people who would influence our lives. That’s why life is thrilling and fun.

-------------------------------(Japanese)----------------------------


友達Nと電車のギリギリの時間まで話した後、次は神戸に移動。友達Yと彼の奥さんと友達に会うために。

友達Yとも5年ほど前にマウイで会いました。
マウイの人里離れた美しい村、ハナで行われたタロフェスティバルで。大地にしっかりと足の付いた彼は山から下りてきたばかりですという感じで、ひょんなりした細い体つきなのに、何だか力強くて、無理にアウトドアな生活していますという変な意気込みが全く感じられない、自然体で自然に溶け込んでいて、それでいて、自分を社会から隔離していたわけでもなく、人との付き合いが上手で「面白い人に会った」が第一印象でした。

今回急に日本に帰ることになったのだけど、限られた時間の中どうしてもこの三人(KとNとY)には関空から実家のある愛媛に帰る途中で会っておきたいと思ったのには理由があったと思う。まだその理由が何かははっきり言葉に出来ないけど、あるのは確か。それは決して他の友達よりもこの三人が大切とかそういう狭い意味ではなくて、ただ今会う必要のある人に吸いつけられたという感じ。そして面白いことに三人とも初対面はマウイだったんだよね。マウイが会わせてくれたこの三人。マウイをこよなく愛するこの三人。彼ら無しでは私はマウイに今のような形で存在してなかったと思う。


この友達Yは私にとって、オーガニックフードや自然と上手く付き合いながら生きることを実践を通して教えてくれた人。彼に会う前もそれらのことには興味があったのだけど、理想ばかり先走ってなかなか実際の生活でどうしたらいいのかが分からずにもがいていたって感じ。もしくは分かってたんだけど、実際にそう生き始める勇気が無かったというか。そこへきてYが「ほらっ」って背中を押してくれた。

この日はYの周期的に開く「ランチセラピー」というものに招待されて行ってきた。彼の両親の家で行われるこの集まりは決して堅苦しいものではなく、ただ友達や、その友達の友達や、友達の友達の友達が集まって皆でおいしくお昼ごはんを食べながら、色々と語り合ったり冗談を言って過ごすというものであるそうだ。勿論お昼はYとYの友達のAによって丹精込めて作られ、全ての材料や調味料が本当に自然に近いものだけを使って作られている。Yが言った言葉に私は感動した。私のうろ覚えによるので、正確ではないがこのようなことを言っていた。「昔は人にこれをした方がいいとか、あれはしちゃダメだとか、人に要求したり、人をジャッジ(判断・批判という意味)していたけど、そうじゃないんだなと思うようになった。自分がしていることや、自分の作る料理を通して、ここに集まった人が内側から元気になってくれて、それで「あぁこう生き方もいいな」って思ってその方向におのずと向かっていくようになって、そうやって同士が増えていって皆で一緒にこの世を将来の世代のためにいい場所に出来たらいいなと思ってる。」私が言うのも変ですが彼はドデカイ成長を成し遂げたようです。そんなYの成長振りを見て、心から拍手を送ると共に、何だかとっても励まされるのでした。


彼と彼のお友達のAちゃんが心を込めて作ってくれた料理は皆、気持ちも体もホカホカにしてくれて、旅の疲れがさらに取れるようでした。マウイではいそがしくて食事を簡単に済ませがちな私。(質素でいいのかもしれないけど、質素過ぎると思う。栄養が偏ってると思う。)もっと体に入れるエネルギーに気をつけようと思うのでありました。

そして何よりのYからのプレゼントはこのおいしいランチだけではなく、彼が紹介してくれた友達でもありました。皆さん何時間でも話していたい、奥の深い人たちでした。Yは結婚したばかりで、奥さんのMさんには今回初めてお会い出来て、とてもきれいで透き通るような方で、でも内にはそう簡単には揺るがされない芯が通っているような人で、あぁ素敵なカップルが一緒になったなぁと思いました。そしてこのステキなカップルには9月に男の子が生まれるのです!イエイ!

また会える日が楽しみです。出会いは本当にどこからやってくるか分からないものですね。だから楽しいです。

No comments: