3/25/2007

Sweat Lodge スウェットロッジ


Last night and today, I went to a sweat lodge.

Last night, one was held at our friend's place. (They are our good neighbors as well.) Today, it was held in 'Ulupalakua, up country of Maui.

Loren and I started to go to a sweat last year (around September). Loren has known about it for many years and has been actually conducting it himself for the kids he works with (Maui Hero Project).

I had heard about it for a long time, but I did not know what it was about, and I finally had an opportunity to attend one last September. Since then, I attend one almost every weekend.

I do not know enough to explain what a sweat lodge is about on my blog, but I will try to give you some idea in case you don't know. To put it in a simple way, it is a ceremony developed and practiced by Native American people. There are various forms of sweat lodge from region to region, and what I am finding out is that different cultures around the world also seem to have had similar ceremony. According to Loren, every indigenous culture has one.


To have a sweat lodge, I think that the first thing we need is an intention to pray. Then, we need a lodge like a picture above. The one in the picture was made by Loren and one of our elder members of the community. They did a beautiful work. Then, we need a fire to heat up stones (the fire is made outside of the lodge) which will be placed in the pit inside of the lodge later. Then, water will be poured over them which will make steam. We cover the lodge with large fabrics (we used tarp today) to make the inside completely dark.

As the ceremony begins, people go inside and sit. The leader who runs the sweat leads the whole ceremony. Again, there are various styles of sweat, and the one that we have been going is a Navajo style. First, five rocks are placed in the pit; four of them represent the four directions (east, south, west, and north), and one represents present. There are four rounds. We have water drums and songs to play and sing during each round. The first round is to pray for gratitude, the second round is women's prayer, and the third round is men's prayer, and the last one is an elder's prayer. People are encouraged to express their prayers when it is their turn, and we pray for each other as we sweat. I love listening to the drum and songs in the dark. For some reason, it makes me feel safe and makes me feel as if I am back to my home.

I have been enjoying experiences I have with a sweat lodge. It is physically helping me by detoxifying my body, and it has been tremendous support for my spiritual practice as well. What I love about Native American way is that it directly connects me to the mother earth. It reminds me of how beautiful and mighty nature is. It reminds me of our ancestors who passed their lives on to us. It reminds me of how sacred each and every one of our soul is.

-----------------------------------(Japanese)-----------------------------------

昨晩と今日、二日に渡ってスウェットロッジに行ってきました。

昨晩は友達の家の庭にて(庭と言いましても広大な空き地と言った感じですが)。彼らは私たちの良いご近所さんでもあります。

今日はウルパラクアというマウイのアップカントリー(奥地)でありました。

ローレンと私は昨年の九月頃にスウェットロッジに行き始めました。ローレンはスウェットについては長年知っていて、彼のプログラム(Maui Hero Project)でも子どもたちのために何度も催したことがありました。でも、私はと言いますとスウェットロッジについて聞いてはいたものの、昨年の九月までは実際に行く機会がありませんでした。しかしそれからというもの、毎週末のように私達は参加しています。

スウェットロッジについてこのブログ上で語れるほどまだ熟知しておりませんが、知らない方のために私の出来る範囲で説明させて頂きます。シンプルに言いますと、ネイティブアメリカンの人たちによって創られ、ずっと守られてきたセレモニーの一つであります。一口にスウェットロッジと言いましても地域によって(ネイティブアメリカンにも沢山の種族がありますから)スタイルが違います。そして面白いことに、ネイティブアメリカンの人々の住んでいた土地だけでなく、世界中に似たようなセレモニーが見受けられます。ローレン曰く、全ての古い文化にスウェットロッジのコンセプトはあるそうです。日本では温泉やサウナがそれに近いそうです。

スウェットロッジをするためにまず必要なものは祈りの意志だと思います。その祈りが何であれ。宗教や思考の違いを超越して。それから一番上の写真にありますように、ロッジの骨組みが必要です。写真に見えますものは、ローレンともう一人、このネイティブアメリカンの教えを頑なに守るおじいちゃん的存在の人が二人で作りました。とても頑丈にしかも美しく出来ました。それから石を温めるための火が必要です。焚き火のような火です。それはロッジの中ではなくて外に作られます。その火に温められた(熱くなった)石たちはセレモニーが始まってから一つずつロッジの中央に掘られた穴の中に置かれ、水をかけることによって蒸気を出します。その蒸気で中にいる私達は汗をかきます。ロッジは大きな布で覆います。(今日は大きな防水シートを使いました)。これで中は真っ暗になります。

セレモニーが始まると同時に、皆ロッジの中に入っていき地面に座ります。リーダーがセレモニーを全て管轄し回していきます。先ほども書きましたように、沢山のスタイルがありますが、私達が参加させてもらっているのはナバホ族スタイルのスウェットロッジです。

最初に五つの石が中央の穴に置かれます。四つは四つの方角を表し、残る一つは現在を表すそうです。全部で四ラウンドあります。1ランド目は感謝の祈り。2ランド目は女性がお祈りをする番。3ランド目は男性がお祈りをし、最後の4ランド目は一番年上の人が年長者として祈ります。皆自分の番が来たら、そのときに祈りを口にします。皆がそれを聞くことによって、それぞれのラウンドでその人の祈りを応援すべく一緒に祈ります。ラウンド中は水のドラムがドンドンドンと叩かれ、ナバホ族の歌がその言語で歌われます。私はその歌とドラムを真っ暗闇の中で聞くのがとても好きです。何故か懐かしい気持ちになって落ち着きます。

私は毎回スウェットロッジに行くのが楽しみです。身体的には体の毒素を出すことによって助けられています。(毎回すごい量の汗をかきます。)そしてそれだけではなく、私の普段のスピリチュアルな生活の面でも助けられています。

ネイティブアメリカンの伝統の何がそんなに好きかと言いますと、母なる地球にじかに繋がらせてくれることです。自然がどんなに美しくて力強いのかを気づかせてくれます。私に命を授けてくれたご先祖さまたちのことを思い起こさせてくれます。(私の個人的な先祖だけでなく、全人類のという意味で。)そして、どんなに私達一人一人の魂が神聖なものであるかを思い出させてくれるからです。

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

わ~!!
テレビで見たことがあるよ。
スウェットロッジと言うのね。
初めて知りました。
魂が神聖なものであるかを思いだせるなんて
素晴らしいね。
それにマウイのアップカントリーは
とても素晴らしいよね。
一度しか行った事がないけど今でも時々思い出します。
今日はブログを見ただけなのに
なぜだろう、とても清々しくなりました。
素敵なブログありがとう。

Akari Ueoka said...

Kayoさんへ

いつもコメントを残していってくれてありがとう。「Moving 引越し」のブログのコメントに遅くなってしまいましたがお返事をしておきました。
http://akariueoka.blogspot.com/2007/03/moving.html

日本でもスウェットロッジをされている方もいらっしゃるようです。(インターネットで検索してみましたところ。)Kayoさんも機会があったら参加してみてください。気持ちも体も楽になります。(お水はしっかり飲んでくださいね。)

あーちゃんにもよろしくお伝えください。

安佳里