11/10/2007

Haleakala and Birthday ハレアカラと誕生日


I was born at 3:12 pm on October 27th, 1982.

On 10/26 at 3:12 pm (In Maui time, 10/27 3:12 pm is 10/26 8:12 pm of Japan time) on October 27th, 2007, I wanted to be on top of the Haleakala, my special place. In the past, on this blog, I have mentioned that I used to have an eating disorder during my high school years. When I was 17 years old, I came to Maui for the first time, and I went to the top of Haleakala. At that time, as I looked at the sun setting over the mountains of West Maui, I heard Maui talking to me, “You are beautiful as you are.” That was the moment when my eating disorder ceased in me. I could finally let “it” go although I did not know what “it” was really. I felt that ropes hedging me in disappeared in to the last ray of the setting sun. Ever since then, I am freed from the eating disorder.

Therefore, Haleakala has been a special place for me. Also, Haleakal has other qualities that keep provoking me to visit on special occasions. It must do. Otherwise, I would not bother to go up there where it is extremely cold (at least to me; maybe not so much for people who know what a real winter is like. I am really not good at handling a cold weather.)

When I had my 19th birthday which was about three months after I came to Maui, I went to the top of Haleakala by myself around the sunset time. It was my way of honoring my life given to me. Since that day, six years have passed.

On my 23rd birthday, I also went up again and danced around at the parking lot. Since then, two years have passed.

This year, I wanted to go up there again.


Loren drove me up there with his truck. I felt that my ceremony was already begun as soon as we started to drive up the Haleakala Highway. Green grass lit up with the setting sun looked marvelous. Inside of myself, I searched where I was with all my senses. “She” was there. She was quietly waiting to be born again. I felt her heartbeat and steady breaths.

We reached the summit of the mountain around 6:10 pm, and the sun was about to set. I saw beautiful silhouettes of people. Loren and I sat on rocks and talked about my life; what happened, where it is now, and where it is leading me to.

Around 7:30 pm, we moved to the edge of a crater. Looking down a huge bowl of crater that was ready to engulf me, I felt as if I was a baby that was about to be born, on the edge of a life between where I came from and where I am now. Loren lit a piece of coral and placed sage, sweet grass, and cedar to bless the place and me. Then he took out an already tied up water drum, and we started to sing Native American songs with a rattle. The sun was completely sat. Darkness and cold air quietly sat around us. Then, there it was, the full moon rising from the other side of the crater. Wind blew up from the crater, stroking our cheeks and carrying our prayers up to the sky.

Just ourselves. Just myself. Just prayers. Just nothing but everything was there. Extremely cold air numbed my toes and fingers, but it was good because it helped me to focus on my prayers. I could not afford to think of anything else:) I did not know if my body was shaking because it was so cold or because my body was vibrating to “give birth” to a 25-year-old person named Akari. After several songs, we stopped singing, and the 25-year-old Akari was born at 8:12 pm on Maui.

Then, I wanted to hike up to the top of summit by myself, to present the Universe this beautiful physical body and soul given to me in this life time. To be closer to the Universe, to talk to it, to listen to it, and to thank it for my life, I climbed up to the top. On the top of the summit, I sat on a big, flat rock. I reclined myself and there was the full moon on top of the sky. I took a deep breath in and out. I repeated it to inhale the light of moon. After a couple of times, I felt like the light of full moon filled up inside of me from top of my head to the toes. Life sometimes gets difficult, but I knew that I would be okay no matter what happens in my life because I knew what was on my back :)

As I was coming down to the parking lot where Loren was waiting for me, I stopped at one place and asked the Universe if there was anything I missed tonight. Then, all of sudden, the wind stopped that was blowing for awhile. Then, I felt as if the Universe told me, “Talk to me. Ask me. And I will always answer to you just like I am doing now. If you really listen and seek me, you will find me always everywhere.”

----------------------------------Japanese----------------------


日本語はしばしお待ちを。
一生懸命日本語で書いているところです。
私のブログは、その日の気分で英語で書き始めたり、日本語で書き始めたりします。今日は英語の気分だったので英語で先に書きました。それを日本語訳すると言うよりも新たに日本語で書き直すという感じの作業をしているところです。(父と母よ、この前みたいに「ありゃ?英語だけじゃのぉ」とびっくりしないように。)

--------------------

(日本語版が用意できました。)

私は1982年(昭和57年)の10月27日、午後3時12分に生まれました。

今年の10月26日の8時12分に(日本時間でいう10月27日3時12分はマウイで言うと10月26日の夜の8時12分になります)私にとって特別な場所であるハレアカラ山のてっぺんにいたいと思いました。以前このブログ上、私が高校生の頃に摂食障害を持っていたことを少し書いたことがあります。マウイに初めて来たのが17歳のときでした。(高校二年生の終わりでした。)まさに摂食障害の真っ只中でありました。そのときに初めてハレアカラの頂上に来させて頂く機会がありました。西マウイの山々の向こうへ沈み行くお日様を見いてるときに、マウイがそっと「あなたはそのままで美しいんだよ。」と囁きました。その瞬間に私の摂食障害との闘いの日々は幕を閉じました。やっと解き放つことが出来たのでした。解き放ったものが何だったのかはその当時ははっきり分からなかったけれども、それまで私をがんじがらめにしていた縄がふっと解かれて、太陽のわずかに残った光の中に蒸発するかのように熔けていきました。それからというもの、私は摂食障害を繰り返していません。

なのでハレアカラは私にとって特別な場所なのであります。その他にもハレアカラには、人生の節目節目に行きたくなる不思議な魅力があります。それが何であるにあれ、何かがあるに違いありません。それでなければ、この寒さにとってもとっても弱い私がわざわざ標高約3000メートルのてっぺんまで行くはずがありません(笑)。

マウイに来て3ヵ月後に19歳の誕生日を迎えました。そのときには一人でハレアカラの頂上まで行ってきました。それまでの人生と目の前に広がる新たなマウイでの生活に感謝するために。それから6年の月日が流れました。

23歳の誕生日のときにもハレアカラに行って、頂上の駐車場で好きなように踊って(ローレンしかいませんんでしたので)誕生日を迎えました。それから2年の月日が流れました。

今年、またそこへいざなわれました。

ローレンが彼の車で連れて行ってくれました(私のベンツくんは山道を一時間以上も登るとオーバーヒートしてしまう可能性が高いので)。ハレアカラハイウェイを登り始めた途端に誕生日のセレモニーが始まったような気がしました。沈みゆく太陽の光を反射させた緑の草っぱらは緑と金色を混ぜたような色で輝いていました。静かに自分の中に入っていき、どこに「彼女」がいるか五感を通して探しました。いました、いました。「あかり」は新たに生まれる時を静かに待っていました。彼女の力強い鼓動と呼吸が聴こえました。

6時10分頃に頂上に着きました。お日様は丁度西マウイの山々の向こうに隠れたところでした。お日様の残した最後の光の中に佇む人たちのシルエットがとてもきれいだと思いました。ローレンと私は車から出て、石の上に座り、私の今までの人生を振り返りました。どんなことが起こったか、今どこにいるか、そしてこれからどこへ行こうとしているのか。


7時半頃、ハレアカラの噴火口(ハレアカラは世界最大級の休火山です)の縁に移動しました。直径約11キロにも及ぶ噴火口は、今にも私を飲み込みそうでした。そのへりに座りながら、私が生まれる前にいた世界と今いる世界のへりにいるような気がしました。そしてその境を超えて生まれる赤ちゃんのような気分がしました。ローレンが木炭にライターで火を付けました。そしてセージ(しそ科の薬草)とスウィートグラス(甘い香りのする草)とシーダー(杉の葉)をその木炭の上に乗せ、その煙で私たちが座っている場所と私を清めてくれました。それからローレンが来る前に既に結びあげておいてくれたネイティブアメリカンの伝統的な楽器の一つであるウォータードラム(これはお鍋に鹿の皮を濡らして被せ、丸い石と縄を使って皮を鍋の上に張ったもので、中に水が入っている)を取り出し、私たちはネイティブアメリカンのおじいさんたちに教えてもらったお祈りの歌を歌いました。

お日様はすっかり沈みました。私たちの周りに暗闇と冷えた空気がしっとりと座りました。そして噴火口の向こう側からはまん丸の満月が昇り始めました。噴火口から吹き上げる風は私たちの頬を潔く力強く撫でながら、私たちのお祈りを天へと吹き上げてくれました。

私たちだけ。私だけ。祈りだけ。そして絶対の無、その中に全てが存在していました。冷え切った空気は私の手足の指を麻痺させました。でもそれは良かったです。その寒さのおかげで全く他のことを考える余裕がなく、ただ祈ることに専念できました:)寒くて体が震えていたのか、それとも25歳の「あかり」という人間を生み出すために震えていたのか。歌い終えて8時12分。そこに25歳の私が生まれました。

ハレアカラの頂上にはさらに徒歩7分ほどで登れる頂があります。今度はそこへ一人で登っていきたかった。今回の人生で頂いたこの素晴らしい体と魂を大いなる存在に示すために。「それ」にもう少し近づきたいために。「それ」と話すために。話を聞くために。それからありがとうを言うために。その頂のてっぺんで平たい石の上に座り、ゆっくりと背中をもたせかけると、お空のてっぺんにいたまん丸お月さまと目が合いました。深呼吸を一つ。何度か繰り返していると月の光が頭のてっぺんからつま先まで体の中に満たされていくのが感じられました。生きている以上、泣いたり、怒ったり、色々あるけど、何があっても大丈夫だと確信しました。「それ」を身近に感じながら、私たちにはこんなに力強いサポーターがついているんだからって。

駐車場で待っていてくれたローレンの元へ降りてくる途中、立ち止まってお月様を見上げながら、「それ」に「今晩何か聞き忘れたことはありませんか?」と聞きました。その途端それまでゴーゴーと吹いていた風がぴたりと止み(「まったまたぁ、そんなことそうそう起きないわよ」って思うでしょう?でもそれが本当に起きたのよ。私もびっくりよ。)「それ」が私に言いました。「話しなさい。尋ねなさい。私は今しているようにいつでも答えましょう。本当にあなたが知りたいと思い、聴き、探し求めるとき、いついかなる場でもあなたは私を見つけるでしょう。」

1 comment:

BreeWee said...

This is such a beautiful story! Really personal... I am so encouraged by your blog... I have to pass it on to my sister, she can learn from your story!
Glad I found it on my search for Japan... I am going there and have been trying to learn some Japanese things!