7/19/2007

The Reasons Brought Me Home 日本に帰ってきた理由


There were two reasons I decided to come back to Japan this summer.

One: To see dentists in Japan to take care of my wisdom teeth
Two: To see my younger brother who recently had a herniated disk.

About two months ago, my right-bottom wisdom tooth stuck its head out. Back then, it was pretty painful, and I understood why babies want to bite things when their teeth come out.

I saw three different dentists on Maui, and all of them told me to extract all four wisdom teeth. (My upper wisdom teeth are fully out, and left-bottom one is still hiding underneath the gum.) They gave me an estimate, and I was surprised as I found out how much it costs to do it in the U.S.!! The estimate to pull all four wisdom teeth was $1,300...!! In Japan, it is about $300 all total or could be even cheaper. If I was going to pay that much money anyway, I wanted to buy an air ticket to go back to Japan and take care of it in Japan, so that I could see my family and take care of it in a familiar environment. One dentist on Maui even told me, "You are a Japanese, and Japanese people are rich, so you should be able to pay this much." Hey, it's not like that... In fact, I am not rich; I am a student. My parents are working so hard to support me going to school. Oh well. I asked another dentist why the cost of dental work was so expensive in America. She said it was because of how the system was set up. "In Europe, most of dental care is received at free of charge because they have a good insurance system, and the governments pay the welfares." Based on her comment, I said, "I hope that the U.S. will be like that someday soon." Then she said, "Well, I like how it is now, so I can make money." I doubted my ears. That's why some children on Maui do not have good teeth because their parents cannot afford to take them to dentists'. It's sad that some people think it’s okay that only they are making money.
Anyhow, with the price and the attitude of dentists on Maui, I did not want to extract my wisdom teeth on Maui. (I'm sure that there are a lot of good dentists on Maui, though.) Also, my second reason to see my brother who had slipped disk contributed to my decision to come home.

He is doing okay for now although he is taking pain reliever every morning to deal with his back pain. His doctor considered doing a surgery, but the doctor does not think that it is an effective way to heal it. My brother is seeing a chiropractor and an oriental energy healer. I gently massaged his back once. He seemed to like it. I hope that he will get better soon.

What about my wisdom teeth? Well, I saw two different dentists in Japan, and both of them told me that I did not need to extract them. They both an X-ray and told me that they are coming out straight, so as long as I brush them well, it should not be a problem. They both said, “It’s nonsense to forcedly take them out when it’s not necessary.” So, I am not taking them out at least for now.

-----------------------------(Japanese)--------------------------------


この夏、日本に帰ってきた理由は二つあります。

その一 親不知のことについて歯医者さんに診てもらうため
その二 最近椎間板ヘルニアにかかってしまった弟に会うため

二ヶ月ほど前に、右下の親不知が生えてきました。その当時は歯茎を破って生えてくる痛みがあったのですが、今は全然痛くありません。歯の生えかけの赤ちゃんが、どうしてああもガジガジ噛みたがるのかが良く分かりました。

マウイでは三人の違った歯医者さんで診てもらい、三人とも四本全部抜いた方がいいと言いました。(私の上の親知らずは既に生えており、左下のはまだ歯肉の下にかくれんぼをしている。)その三人の歯医者がそれぞれに見積もりを作ってくれました。それを見て、私はアメリカで歯医者にかかるのがどれだけお金が要ることなのか聞いてはいましたが、よく分かりました。四本の親不知を抜くのに$1300かかるそうです!つまり、15万ちょっと。日本では全部で3万円くらいか、もしかしたらもう少し安く出来るかもしれないと歯医者さんで聞きました。どうせそんだけ払うなら、日本への航空チケットを買って、家に帰って慣れた場所で抜いてもらいたいと思いました。そうすれば家族にも会えますし。その三人のうちの一人は言いました。「君は日本人だろ。日本人はお金持ちだから、これくらい払えるだろう?」えぇ?そういうものではありませんよ。ちなみに私個人は現時点ではお金持ちではありません。学生です。そう、いつも食費を削っている学生です。そして私の両親は私を学校に行かせるため、一生懸命働いてくれております。まぁそういう風に思われる方もいらっしゃるのですね。

そして、違う歯医者に「どうしてこんなにするのでしょうか。」と聞いたところ、「ヨーロッパや日本は保険制度が良いでしょう?ヨーロッパなんか国民は無料で医療サービスを受けれると聞いたわ。政府がその分医療機関に払うのよ。」そこで、「アメリカもすぐにそうなるといいですね。」とコメントすると、何とその方「私はこのままでもいいけどね。お金が入ってくるから。」とおっしゃいました。私は自分の耳を疑いましたぞよ。だからマウイの子ども達の中で歯がすごいことになっている子が平気でいるのかぁ。歯医者に行く余裕が無かったのかぁ。自分の利益だけ考えている人がいることを目の当たりにして、悲しい思いがしたのでありました。

まぁ、とにかく、その値段と、歯医者さんたちの態度でマウイで歯を抜く気を失せた私は、親ばかならぬ「姉バカ」なもので弟の症状が気になり、日本への帰省を決断したわけであります。(勿論マウイにも沢山良心的な歯医者さんはいると思いますので、皆さんが皆さんそうというわけではありませんし、きっとあの三人にも良い所はいっぱいあるでしょう。)

弟は今のところ特に良くもなく、特に悪くも無くといった感じです。ドクターストップがかかっているもので、仕事にも行けません。毎朝痛み止めを飲んでいます。お医者さんは手術をすることも考えたのですが、あまり効果があるとは思わなかったそうで、手術は今のところ選択肢の外です。定期的にカイロプラクターと整体と気功の先生に通っています。一度腰を軽くマッサージしてやりました。早く良くなるといいです。

え?私の親不知はどうなったかですって?そうなんですよ。松山で二人の歯医者さんに診てもらいましたら抜く必要は無いと。マウイの歯医者さんと全く違ったことを言ってくれるものですから、私正直言って迷いました。でもレントゲン写真を撮ると、真っ直ぐに生えてきているのでこのままにして様子を見たのでいいのではないかと言われました。(マウイでもレントゲン撮ったのですが、これは良くない生え方だみたいに言われました。)まぁ歯磨きは気を付けてしなくてはいけませんが。「抜く必要が無い時に無理やり抜かんでもええやろう?」と二人とも言うのですね。それで私は気が抜けましたが、もともと抜きたくなかったので良かったと思っています。なのでとりあえず今のところ、親不知さんと仲良くやっていこうと思っている次第であります。

No comments: