1/19/2006

Kitesurf カイトサーフィン

On Sunday afternoon, Loren and I went to Kanaha Beach to kitesurf. I started to learn how to kitesurf in May 2005. Since then, I have tried about six times. (I want to practice more often, but my schedule does not allow me to do so…) For my very first time, Loren took me to a park, and I practiced to fly a kite on the ground. I was dragged for a couple of feet, and I learned the power of wind. The next time, I flew a kite on the beach, but I did not go into the ocean. The third time, I actually got wet. I was pulled by the kite in the ocean just like a superman. Then, the fourth time, I learned how to control the kite with one hand, and I had a kitesurf board in the other hand. I jumped into the water, I let the kite drag me for a while, and then I put my both feet in the arches of the board. I moved the kite and tried to stand up on the board. I could not… This is where I am at now. I have been struggling to stand up since the fourth time. Loren patiently walks along the beach to follow me for a couple of yards and shouts, giving me directions. This sport requires a lot of equipments, and all of them are pretty expensive that are not affordable for students. Therefore, I don’t see many young boys and girls kitesurfing. Without Loren, I would not have been doing this, either. Moreover, kitesurfing got to have people’s help. When you launch the kite, you have to ask someone to hold your kite. When you come in, you have to ask someone to catch your kite. So, this sport has been giving me a great opportunity to practice asking people for help, which I am not good at. Also, I am learning to accept people’s generosity without feeling guilty or any pressure. Loren says that he enjoys seeing me learning new skills, so it does not bother him to walk down the beach many times to get my kite, but I feel really bad for him. Lately, I try to thank him instead of apologies him. On Sunday, I stood up on the board for about five seconds! It was fun. I want to be able to stay on the board next time. According to Loren, if I get good at kitesurf, my surfing also gets better, so I am looking forward to seeing if it happens to me. Last year, I started surfing and kitesurfing. I learned the power of waves from surfing, and I learned the power of wind from kitesurfing. I have felt the mightiness of nature from both sports. Even though I have seen in TV or have heard about it, I really did not have idea. After we actually “experience” things, we have better understanding of them. It was my first time to fear nature. As I feared it, I was attracted to the beautiful mighty power that I do not possess and was filled with awe. I respect nature much more deeply now. I saw sanctity on peak of the energy that rushes through my body in the moment of realization that I am in danger. Now, I can relate to the word Ayrton Senna (a Brazilian racing driver who won the Formula One world championship three times) left before he passed away in 1994: “I saw God beyond the speed.” Of course, I am not doing anything dangerous that threatens my life, so please do not worry. I don’t have the skills to handle those situations, and I have so many things that I want to do in this life time, so I would not gamble my life. I will continue the conversations with wind and waves.


15 日の日曜日の午後、ローレンとカナハビーチへ行き、カイトサーフィンをしました。昨年の五月にローレンから習い始め、それから計6回ほどトライしてき ました。(もっと練習したいのですが、忙しくてなかなか。)カイトは日本語で凧です。カイトサーフィンは、簡単に説明しますと大きな凧の糸の先に板をつけ て、凧を飛ばしてその板の上に乗って、海の上を滑ったり、空中に飛び出したりして遊ぶスポーツです。サーフィンと違って、体が常に海から出ています。一 番初めは公園に行って、カイトの飛ばし方を習いました。「風ってこんなに強いものなんだ。」と改めて思いました。次にビーチへ行って、でも海には入らずに 砂の上 でカイトを飛ばしました。その次に初めて海に入りました。でも、ボード(板)はまだ無し。海の中でスーパーマンみたいに風に引っ張られる練習をしました。 そして、次回に片手でカイトを操作して、もう片方の手にボードを持って海の中へ入っていき、少し沖へ出てからボードを足に付けて立ち上がる練習をしまし た。
ここから私は進展していません。なかなか立ち上がれないのです。右足を前に出すことがコツらしいのですが、私はそれがなかなか出来ていませ ん。 ローレンは辛抱強く砂浜の上を400メートル以上歩いて付いてきて、砂浜から色々アドバイスしてくれています。このスポーツは、道具が色々必要で、またそ の道具たちが学生には手の届かないお値段なので、砂浜でいつも見るカイトサーファーたちの中に10代、20代の子達はあまり見ません。私もローレンの道具 を借りていなければしていなかったと思います。そして一人では出来ないスポーツなので、誰かに助けを借りることの苦手な私には、とても意味のあるスポーツ なのです。まずカイトを空中に上げるときに誰かにカイトを持ってもらわないといけないし、海から陸へ帰ってくるときは、誰かにカイトを捕まえてもらわない といけません。(全部一人でする人いますが。)またローレンは私に嫌々教えているのではなく、私が少しずつ上達していくのを見るのが楽しいらしいので教え ることは苦にならないと言っていますが、それでも気にしてしまう私は人からの援助を快く、罪悪感無しで受け入れるというレッスンをこの機会から学んでい ます。
曜日には初めて5秒ほど、ボードの上に立てました。ローレン曰く、あと一歩だそうです。早く立って滑るように沖へ出て行きたいものです。また、カイトサー フィンで波の上をターンする練習をすれば、サーフィンの腕も上がるらしいのでそれも楽しみです。昨年はサーフィン、そしてカイトサーフィンと、二つの新 しいスポーツに挑戦しました。サーフィンからは波の力強さ、カイトサーフィンからは風の力強さを学び、どちらからも自然の力を私は生 まれて初めて「体感」しました。今までも映像で見たり、言葉で聞いたりしていたものの、やはり人間「経験」すると違ったレベルの理解が生まれるのですね。 私は初めて自然をこわいと思いました。恐れると同時に「畏れ」を知りました。「あぁ、私はこの地球上に生かされている一つの存在なんだ」と思いしらされ、 自然を前以上に尊敬する気持ちが生まれました。自分の身が危険にさらされていることを悟った瞬間に体中を駆け巡るエネルギーの先端に神聖さを見たような気 がしまいた。1994年にこの世を去ったレーシングドライバーであったアイルトンセナの言葉、「スピードの向こうに神を見た」の言葉を今ならもっと理解 できるような気がします。勿論、両親を心配させるような程の危険なことはしていないので、ご心配なく。それほどの力量もありませんし、まだまだ この世でしたいことがあるので自分の命を賭けには出しませんよ。これからも海と風と対話を続けていきたいと思います。

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

元気そうな様子が伺えて、すごくうれしいです。こっちまで素適なマウイの風が伝わってきます。それに、ダイアリーを読んでいると、まるで自分もそちらにいるんじゃないかと思ってしまうような親しみとリアルさを感じたりします。少々時代に遅れ気味で、ブログなるものの仕組みがいまいちまだ理解できてません(^^ゞこちらにお邪魔しながら、近いうち波に乗れるようになりたいです~(*^_^*)取り急ぎ、うれしいご紹介へのお礼でした。こちらも、元気です(^^)/~~~