12/16/2007

Umaji Village 馬路村


I mentioned about Umaji Village in the previous post. Today, I would like to add some more to it.

Although I am from the same prefecture (like state in the U.S.) of Kochi where Umaji Village is located, I have been to Umaji only once. It takes solid two hours to Umaji Village from Kochi city by a car. (I was raised in Kochi-city in the
Kochi castle town. When I was a high school student, I danced with Suga Yosakoi Ren (Group), and Umaji Village invited several of us to dance for their summer or fall festival (I cannot remember which it was, but it was not winter). I napped on the way to Umaji in the car while my dance instructor was driving. When we were about to enter Umaji Village, I woke up, and I still clearly remember how a river and mountains looked almost visionary (dreamy). It was right after the typical summer shower. Everything was still wet, and I saw some mist rising between mountains. I thought to myself, “Wow, such a beautiful place! It would be wonderful if I could live somewhere like this!”

I could dance at their festival with such joy, and everybody in the village seemed nice and cheerful. They kept saying, “Oh, please eat this, and eat that one, too!” Their hospitality showed me their kindness, and I felt that there was a great esprit de corps (It means “morale when discussing the morale of a group: is an intangible term used for the capacity of people to maintain belief in an institution or a goal, or even in oneself and others” according to Wikipedia).

The population of the village is only 1200 or so; it was getting depopulated. However, since 1981, the village has become a charisma of “mura-okoshi” meaning re-vitalizing the village by appealing people with unique characteristic of their village: in Umaji Village's case, they used the country life style and selling their peculiarity which was Yuzu (citrus fruit which is about the size of a tangerine and is quite sour). At the beginning, they struggled to get it going, but at one point, their sales boosted up and grossed $29 billion in the year of 2003. According to a Japanese Wikipedia, “Among 35 cities/towns/villages of Kochi Prefecture, Umaji Village is the second to the least populated village. The village has been challenged with numerous attempts of merging with other cities/towns/villages, but the villagers’ opposition has not allowed that to happen. The consciousness of independency among villagers is one the characteristics of the village (translated by me).” When I was in Umaji Village, I felt that everybody seemed to be proud of being a part of Umaji, instead of being ashamed to live in such a small village. That’s why, the festival was so warm and joyful.

One of Umaji Village’s famous products is named “A Village of Yuzu” which is Yuzu Ponzu (Yuzu vinegar). It was developed in 1986 and received a grand prize at “101 Village Expo” in 1988. It’s been a long seller! At my home in Japan, it is always in our refrigerator. I cannot describe my surprise and happiness to encounter with it in Hawai`i. Like I wrote it in the previous post, I felt as if I met someone from the same hometown whom I could share our tender place in our hearts with. I said to the Yuzu Vinegar in my heart, “Oh, you also came all the way here from Kochi and working hard in a foreign country… If you can, I should be able to... Thank you for your encouragement.”

After I researched about Umaji Village on the Internet, I came across with an official Umaji Village site. I contacted them and asked them if I could write about Umaji Village on my blog, and they said sure. I love my hometown (I think everyone does), so I wanted to use this opportunity to brag about it, especially Umaji Village! I hope you will know a bit more about Umaji Village by visiting the following sites (even Japanese ones), and someday, I hope you will be able to go there!

About Umaji Village written in English
http://www.jnto.go.jp/tourism/en/80.html

About Yuzu products written in English
http://www.pref.kochi.jp/~kokusai/Oikochi/oikochi9gatsu.pdf

Umaji Vilage's another abundant product: cedar trees. Do you want to build a house with cedar? Check it out.
http://www.yanasesugi.or.jp/

Umaji Village has a blog, too! It's written in Japanese, but you can see beautiful photos of the village.
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/jaumajimura/

-------------------------Japanese--------------------------


(Yuzu Vinegar "Village of Yuzu" found at Don Quijote Honolulu Store.
ホノルルのトン・キホーテというスパーで見つけた馬路村の「ゆずの村」)

前回の(昨日の)ブログで高知県の馬路村について少し触れましたが、もう少し触れたいと思います。

同じ高知県でも私は高知市内のお城下の(
高知城のこと)出身であり、馬路村には一度しか行ったことはありません。高校生の頃に須賀よさこい連で踊っており、馬路村で開催された夏祭り(もしくは秋祭り。はっきり覚えていないのだが、冬ではなかった)によさこいを踊りに来てくださいと招待されたときのことでした。行きはダンスの先生の運転する車の中でうたうたしており、馬路村に入りかけた頃に目が覚め、そのときに見た大きな川と山の幻想的な景色が今でも瞼の裏に焼きついています。丁度夏の夕立が上がった頃で、すべてがまだしっとりと濡れていて、山々の間がうっすらとかすみがかっていました。「わー、すてきなところに来たなぁ!こんなところに住めたら素敵だろうなぁ!」と思った覚えがあります。

お祭りではとても気持ちよく躍らせてもらいました。村の人は皆優しくて、明るくてお祭りの後には「これも食べなさい、あれも食べなさいや」と歓迎してもらった覚えがあります。村の人たちが団結しているのが感じられ素敵な村だなぁと思いました。

馬路村の人口は1200人足らずだそうです。でも昭和56年頃から馬路村の「田舎さ」を上手にアピールし、馬路村特産のゆずを商品化しての日本有数の村おこしのカリスマ的存在となりました。最初は四苦八苦するも突然売上が急上昇し始め、平成15年には売上が29億円を超えるまでになったそうです。Wikipediaによりますと、「高知県35市町村で人口が2番目に少ない。幾度の市町村合併の機会も、村民の反対多数によって合併協議を離脱しており、村民の自立意識が高いのが特徴である」とのことです。確かに馬路村の皆さんは馬路村の住民であることを誇りに思っているのが感じられました。だからこそあんなに楽しくてあたたかいお祭りだったのでしょう。

そんな馬路村特産商品の一つであるゆずぽん酢「ゆずの村」は昭和61年に発売開始したロングセラーであり、昭和63年には「日本の101村展」で大賞を受賞しました。水炊き、湯豆腐など、鍋物には必須アイテムで、私の実家では必ず出てきます。そのゆずの村にホノルルで思いがけずに巡り合ったときのビックリと嬉しさと言ったら。昨日のブログにも書きましたが、自分の故郷を分かち合える同郷の人と会ったときの喜びと似て(お互いに話は出来ませんが)、「あぁ、おまえさんもここまで来てがんばってるんだなぁ。私も負けずにがんばるよ。」と思わせてもらったのでした。

早速馬路村についてインターネット上で調べてみたところ馬路村ふるさとセンター「まかいちょって家」というサイトに行き当たり、早速連絡を取らせて頂き、馬路村について私のブログ上で書いてもいいかと尋ねたところ、すぐに返事を頂き「リンクの件、了解致しました。今後とも、馬路村とのお付き合いどうか宜しくお願い致します。」とのことでありました。私は高知大好き人間なので(皆、自分の故郷は大好きだと思いますが)、この場を借りて故郷の良いとこ自慢をさせてもらうことにしました。私には語りきれない馬路村の良さ、以下のサイト上を訪れてもらって少しでも感じて頂ければ、幸いなり。

馬路村農業共同組合のページにて馬路村のゆずを使った商品を購入することが出来ます。
http://www.yuzu.or.jp/

馬路村もブログを持っている!「日々馬路村」
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/jaumajimura/

ゴトゴトWeb!の紹介する馬路村
http://www.gomen-nahari.com/ensen/10_02.html

国土交通省のサイトより
馬路村農業協同組合 代表理事専務(高知県馬路村)
東谷 望史(とうたに もちふみ) さんについて
http://www.mlit.go.jp/sogoseisaku/kanko/mr_totani.html

馬路村応援団長 大歳昌彦さんについて
http://www.yuzu.or.jp/history/friends/ootoshi.html「四国の高知県、中芸地区と呼ばれる山の中に、その村がある。馬でしか進めない山奥だから、馬の路と書いて「うまじ」という説がある。いまだそれは定かでない。その馬路村までは、高知市から車でたっぷり二時間かかる。高知市から国道五十五号線を海沿いに車を走らせると安芸市に入る。その安芸市から安田町を経て、安田川沿いを、まるで鮎のように登っていく。「まだですか?本当にこの道で合ってますか?」何度もタクシーの運転手さんに聞きたくなるが、それを五回くらい我慢したら、やっと馬路村に着く。」(「ごっくん馬路村の村おこし」のまえがきより )

大歳昌彦さんの書かれた「ごっくん馬路村の村おこし」の本について
http://www.nikkei-bookdirect.com/bookdirect/item.php?did=14720

杉の家を作りたいですか?ではここを要チェック!
http://www.yanasesugi.or.jp/

Wikipediaに書かれた馬路村
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%A6%AC%E8%B7%AF%E6%9D%91

No comments: